Pirates fail to muster up victory against Fordham

The Seton Hall women’s tennis team lost, 5-2, against Fordham on Friday afternoon. The Pirates kept the games close, but Fordham was able to consistently close out games to ensure the victory. The loss drops the Pirates to 4-2 on the season.

In the doubles bracket, Seton Hall was able to grab one match as Michal Matson and Melody Taal won in the number three game, 7-6. Still, the Pirates were unable to win their other two matches as Anicka Fajnorova and Regina Pitts lost, 6-4, while Thandy Kangwa and Minja Gligic lost, 6-3.

In singles, Pitts won her match, 6-4. Gilgic won via opponent retirement. Gligic won the first set, but her opponent, Nicole Li won the next two sets before deciding to withdraw in the fourth set.

tennis-21519-1024x576

Outside of those two matches, the Pirates were unable to stand pat with Fordham. Taal was able to dominate her first set against Tatiana Grigoryan, 6-2. However, in the next two, Grigoryan won 7-5 and 6-4.

Fajnorova also tried to steal a victory, going three sets against Arina Taluyenko. Fajnorova lost her first set but was able to force a deciding third set with a 6-2 win. Fajnorova, though, fell in the tiebreaker and lost the match.

The Pirates will next travel to New Haven, Conn. to face the University of Connecticut on Feb. 17.

Ryan Beltran can be contacted at Ryan.Beltran@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @RyanB591011.