Swimming and diving victorious in showdown with Monmouth

The Seton Hall men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams each came home with a victory at Monmouth on Jan. 17. The two scores were similar, as the men’s team won, 147-87, and the women’s team won, 146-93.

In the women’s 200-yard medley, Theresa Hutton finished with the best individual time of 27.90. She also won the 100-yard freestyle with a time of 55.35.

The women’s team came in second place in the team standings, though, finishing the relay at 1:50.90, 14 seconds short from Monmouth’s first place finish.

In the men’s 200-yard medley, Liam Cosgrove had the best total time at 24.48 and led the team to a first-place finish at 1:35.03.

For the men’s and women’s 1000-yard freestyle, the Pirates each placed in their specific brackets. Casey Young won the women’s event with a time of 10:56.44. For the men, Josh Tosoni would finish with a time of 9:57.26 and his fellow teammate, Christian Kopecki came in second with a time of 10:03.96.

The men would lose the 200-yard freestyle, but the women would win their heats. Heidi Dickinson came in first with a time of 1:58.62.

Another victory for the men came in the the 50-yard freestyle, as Mark Kantzler finished with a time of 22.05.

For the 200-yard IM, Courtney McCardle placed first and fellow teammates Sara Ouellette and Lexi Kolodgie came in second and third, respectively. For the men’s 200-yard IM, Joe Gibson won with a time of 1:57.72.

Sam Hendrix won the 100-year butterfly with a total time of 51.75, and in the 100-yard backstroke, Cosgrove took home a victory. Thomas Staes also picked up a victory in the 100-yard breaststroke.

In the diving competitions, Joe Iannelli and Taylor Jackson came in first in the one-meter and three-meter competitions.

The teams will return to action on Jan. 25 against Saint Peter’s.

Ryan Beltran can be contacted at Ryan.Beltran@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @RyanB591011.