Season-high in turnovers prove costly as Pirates fall at Providence

The Seton Hall men’s basketball team fell to Providence on the road, 72-63, on Tuesday night after committing a season-high 22 turnovers.

The turnover total was the highest in a game for Seton Hall since 2016, and the Pirates continued to pile them up down the stretch. After a difficult and-one from Myles Powell to make the game 40-38, the Pirates coughed the ball up 10 times in the last 15 minutes of the game and caused the Friars to stretch a lead that they would not relinquish.

In the first half, both teams played loosely with the basketball, but Seton Hall commanded the tempo of the game. Myles Cale opened the game hot with two threes that would put the Pirates up 12-6 early on. Cale also grabbed seven rebounds in the first half, being extremely active on the glass.

The last five minutes of the half reflected how chippy the game was, as the lead went back and forth. Michael Nzei got in early foul trouble and forced the freshman Darnell Brodie into action to close out the half. Brodie saw key defensive minutes and finished a dunk that ignited the team to maintain the lead at the time.

Providence led by one with a minute to go in the half, but Seton Hall fought back with layups by Quincy McKnight and Powell, who had nine points at the half, to retake the lead. The Pirates went into the locker room up 33-30.

With both teams continuing to trade baskets, the Friars were able to capitalize on the Pirates’ turnovers resulting in 13 points off of breaks. The Pirates also gave up 12 second chances points, making a comeback difficult.

Sandro Mamukelashvili also struggled to get into a rhythm, as he picked up his fourth foul with 12 minutes left in the second half. As he re-entered the game later in the half, he scored his first and only points of the game – after scoring double figures in three out of the last five games.

The Pirates now enter a losing skid, as they have lost three of the last four games in Big East play.

Up next for the Pirates is a home game against DePaul on Jan. 19. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m.

Evando Thompson can be reached evando.thompson@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @Thompsev.