Poor start and finish costs Pirates in loss to Georgia Tech

The Seton Hall women’s basketball team fell to Georgia Tech, 84-73, on Thursday afternoon in the first of two games at the West Palm Beach Invitational. Despite the final score, however, the Pirates put together an all-around solid performance against the Yellow Jackets.

Going into the fourth quarter, the Pirates trailed by only four, and they trailed the Yellow Jackets by as low as one point early in the third quarter.

Offensively, Seton Hall failed to get into a rhythm out of the gate. Although they hit four first quarter three pointers, 15 points was the third-lowest scoring first quarter on the season for the team.

SHUwbb1220

Inja Butina showed no signs of rust early on in her first game back from injury, scoring a team-high 21 points to go along with a couple of assists. Butina was responsible for more than half of Seton Hall’s first quarter points as she hit three from beyond the arc in the opening frame

Georgia Tech came out firing on all cylinders in the second quarter, capitalizing on the Pirates’ offensive woes and turnovers. The Yellow Jackets built a 36-17 lead, forcing four Seton Hall turnovers. Early second quarter shooting did not aid Seton Hall either. The Pirates went 1-for-6 during Georgia Tech’s 13-2 run in the first five minutes of the quarter.

Seton Hall’s offense caught fire in the last five minutes of the first half, allowing them to stay in the game. The Pirates forced two Yellow Jacket turnovers and hit two three pointers to head into the break on a 20-9 run.

The third quarter was the most competitive quarter of the game, as two points separated the teams’ scoring. Georgia Tech led by seven more than once in the quarter, but the Pirates’ combination of layups and free throws allowed them to win the quarter, 22-20.  

Seton Hall’s offense did not do enough to keep up with Georgia Tech’s scoring, though, as they were outscored in the fourth quarter and ultimately dropped the contest.

In the effort, Shadeen Samuels scored 16 points, had seven rebounds and one assist. Nicole Jimenez scored in double figures for the sixth time in the last seven games, as she finished with 12 points, three rebounds and four assists.

The Pirates will return to the hardwood tomorrow night, Dec. 21, at 7 p.m. as they take on UNC Greensboro. Evando Thompson can be reached at evando.thompson@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @Thompsev