Seton Hall hires Ciara Crinion as Women’s Soccer coach

On Wednesday, Seton Hall announced the hiring of former Hartford assistant Ciara Crinion as its newest women’s soccer coach.

Crinion has spent the past seven seasons working under head coach John Natale at Hartford, where the duo accumulated a record of 77-36-20, won four America East regular season championships and reached the America East Tournament final four times.

“We are very excited to welcome Ciara to the Seton Hall Athletics family,” Seton Hall Vice President & Director of Athletics Pat Lyons said. “During the interview process, Ciara demonstrated great passion for coaching and mentoring student-athletes and getting them to reach their maximum potential. We believe that she will not only give our student-athletes a great experience here at Seton Hall, but she will also develop them into contenders in the BIG EAST Conference.”

Seton Hall has hired Ciara Crinion as its new Women’s Soccer Coach/Photo via Hartford Athletics

With Crinion on its staff, Hartford has churned out three United Soccer Coaches All-America selections, four America East Midfielder of the Year honorees, three America East Striker of the Year picks, three America East Goalkeeper of the Year nods and one America East Defender of the Year and Co-Rookie of the Year. She has also been part of three Hartford coaching staffs to earn America East coaching staff of the year honors.

Prior to her coaching career, Crinion was a standout at Central Connecticut State, where she was a two-time All-NEC selection and led the Blue Devils to a conference tournament title in 2008 and a regular season championship in 2009. Crinion has also had stints with the Irish National under-17 and under-19, as well as the Arsenal Ladies Academy and the Boston Renegades in the W League in 2007.

Crinion takes over for Rick Stainton, who stepped down in October following an underwhelming five-year stretch at Seton Hall. In the past two seasons, Seton Hall has posted a 2-24-9 mark.

With that being said, the Pirates return plenty of talent in 2019. Senior captain Siobhan McGovern, as well as juniors Izzy Engel, Cassy Harrigan, Emily Caza and Danielle Camilleri, among others, will be back next season, leaving Crinion with plenty of talent to work with in her first season as head coach.

Tyler Calvaruso can be reached at tyler.@calvaruso@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @tyler_calvaruso.

Author: Tyler Calvaruso