Students share the benefits of double majoring

Some students said that no major in college is a walk in the park and struggle with just one major. On the other hand, some students said that being a double major is not as bad it seems. [caption id="attachment_25336" align="alignnone" width="3024"] Photo courtesy of Francesca Bielar[/caption] Divina Tanamal, a junior marketing and economics major, said she never expected to double major. She said that once she began to take Principles of Microeconomics and Principles of Macroeconomics, she realized that it was difficult but she liked it. “Double-majoring in Economics and Marketing is actually not as common of as students who major in economics and finance or marketing and management, but I really feel like economics and marketing are two broad majors that are applicable anywhere in the business world,” Tanamal said. Tanamal says her workload is “not bad at all,” and said that Stillman students are usually encouraged to double major, or “double-concentrate” because a lot of the single business majors only require about 15 to 18 credits, so students have a lot of course spaces that can be filled up. “Since economics and marketing are completely different subjects, it certainly spices up my schedule and the types of assignments I get,” Tanamal said. “For example, economics courses are more lecture-based and entail a lot of analysis through essay writing, while marketing courses are more project-based and can sometimes require client-facing roles.” Francesca Bielar, a junior criminal justice and psychology major, was accepted into the psychology B.A. program. During her freshman year, she said she added criminal justice as a minor, but quickly fell in love with the material, and decided to make it her second major. “I found myself excited to wake up for my 9 a.m. Criminal Justice in Modern America class with Dr. R.J. Maratea,” Bielar said. Bielar mentioned the crossing over of majors as well and said there are lots of ways to “double-dip” when registering for classes, as a class can count for both majors. “There are definitely times that are harder than others,” Bielar said. “Some nights I have a psychology lab report, a quiz and an assignment for a psychology class and a project in one of my criminal justice classes.” However, Bielar said she has learned how to manage her time. “I try my best to do a lot of work over the weekend, especially when I know the upcoming week I will have an exam or large assignment due,” she said. Overall, Tanamal finds that she is placed in a position where she can interact with more students outside of Stillman school, as one can be an economics major in either the College of Arts and Sciences or the business school. “I find it pretty cool because I get to hear different perspectives on similar topics,” Tanamal said. “I have to say that economics is definitely a difficult major. However, I am also surrounded by incredibly smart students and that is a really motivating environment for me.” Eugenia Utoyo, a junior diplomacy major, also shared her insights on being a double major. “In my opinion, whether students should take or not take another major depends on their own interests in college,” Utoyo said. “I believe that it is beneficial if they have a goal of merging both fields later on in the future. Personally, I would not do a double major because of the coursework involved and my limited slots for credits.” Kristel Domingo can be reached at kristel.domingo@student.shu.edu.