Pirates share their game day experiences at the Rock

Now that basketball season is in full swing SHU students have been filling the Prudential center to cheer on the Pirates. Sophomore public relations major Michael Gallucci, said he has been going to the basketball games since he was a freshman as a tuba player in the SHU pep band. “It feels like you are at an NBA game when you’re there, since the stadium is so big and the whole production is so tight,” Gallucci said. [caption id="attachment_25225" align="alignnone" width="2737"] Sarah Yenesel/ Photography Editor[/caption] Gallucci said that there isn’t always a lot of interaction between the band and the student section, but he thinks the two groups have a good relationship with each other. Gallucci said his favorite part of the games is the Pirates of the Caribbean clip is played at the beginning of the game, and then having the band play the song before the start of the second half. Gallucci said that if he could change anything about his basketball game experience it would be to make the pep band section just a little bigger and to have a consistent section for the band to eliminate confusion that sometimes occurs. Gallucci said he first joined pep band to get credits, but hopes to stay in the band all through college. Junior public relations majorLianne Joseph said she started going to SHU men’s basketball games before she was a students since her mom and Godmother work at the law school and often get free tickets. She said she remembers in January going to her first two games of 2015, against Saint John’s game and then two weeks later against Villanova. Joseph said that during her Pirate Adventure she won season tickets and attended many games her freshman year. Joseph said she isn’t much of a sports person, but at the basketball games she can’t help yell and cheer when a ball goes into the net, and she can celebrate with fellow Pirates’ fans. “I feel like everyone has a good time and we have our own designated student section,” Joseph said, “If we were all scattered all over the place I don’t think it would’ve been as much fun.” Senior social and behavioral sciences major Brittany Setaro said she bought season tickets her freshman year and fell one game short of making it to all the home games and getting her money back. “It’s always fun to see school spirit displayed places,” Setaro said. Setaro said she loves the energy of the games and seeing Pirate fans unite to cheer on the team. Setaro said if she could make changes to the game experience she would make the student section bigger and include more fan giveaways that appeal to college students. Setaro said she hasn’t been to a game yet this season but hopes to make it to the Rutgers game on Dec. 15. Veronica Gaspa can be reached at veronica.gaspa@student.shu.edu.