Alpha provides opportunities to be inquisitive

Students are coming together with Campus Ministry to explore their Christian faith through a discussion group called “Alpha.” [caption id="attachment_25230" align="alignnone" width="1080"] Photo via Facebook/Brothers Saint John N.J.[/caption] Jocelyn Rogalo, a senior television production major, said that having a discussion group opens students up to understanding how other people think about certain topics. These topics include exploring who God is and why people still read the Bible, she said. Rogalo added that students also have the opportunity to discuss how they feel about these topics and to discover more about those around them than how they feel internally. Students also learn new aspects of Christianity, she said. The discussions are facilitated by student leaders who provide participants with a background to lead conversations. Recently, the group participated in a weekend retreat to learn more about connecting with the Holy Spirit. Leidy Nizama, a sophomore accounting major, wrote in an email that she was sick during the retreat, but nothing could stop her from attending. “The retreat has been by far one of my favorite experiences this year,” Nizama said. “You could feel the love radiate from everyone in the room.” Rogalo echoed similar sentiments. “The retreat was incredible,” Rogalo said. “We all walked away feeling full and refreshed. It was an incredible weekend away that not only brought us closer, but opened some deep discussions on faith and the world that would not have been brought up casually outside of Alpha.” These experiences are not limited to the previous retreat, but are a common staple of the discussion groups. “I have gotten a chance to learn more about myself and really focus on how I answer these big life questions,” Nizama said. “It has also helped me realize why I answer these questions the way I do. I have gotten a chance to explore different ideas as well and expand my thoughts/horizons.” Another student in the program, Brian Sumereau, a sophomore IT and finance major, shared his thoughts on Alpha. “Personally, I have learned that there are people who have the same questions and curiosities that I have about my faith,” Sumereau said. “I also learned more in-depth knowledge about certain aspects of my faith, such as how God heals and different methods of prayer.” Sumereau was also part of the retreat and explained that the group did a variety of activities throughout the weekend including hiking, dancing and meditating. “Overall, the retreat was an amazing part of the experience since it allowed all of us to bond in a new environment, share stories and memories, and connect over intellectual and spiritual discussion,” he said. “Alpha gives everyone the opportunity to share their beliefs and provides them with a safe space to ask questions,” Nizama said. Sumereau said with these ongoing conversations, Alpha provides an opportunity for students to be inquisitive and learn more about others. He said, “By opening up thought-provoking questions, allowing people the opportunity to express their emotions and hear the responses of others, participants know that they are not alone and that their struggles and spiritual triumphs are experienced by others as well.” Adam Varoqua can be reached at adam.varoqua@student.shu.edu.