Letter to the Editor:

Guns don’t kill people. People kill people. Stop blaming guns for the actions of criminals.

All American can agree on at least one thing: A world with less violence is a good thing. Notice I did not say gun violence, domestic violence, or hate-crime based violence. All violence is an issue, and those who commit those acts should be punished.

The nature of criminals is that they do not follow laws. Writing more restrictions into law will not deter criminals from committing crimes. They do not follow the laws, to begin with, and why would they start now?

The article [We need stricter gun laws to stop gun violence, Oct. 31, 2018] says, ‘Gun control may not prevent all shootings, but something has to be done because society is becoming more accustomed and desensitized to these shootings, which isn’t good.’ Writing laws that will have no effect on the actions of those who already will not follow the law to make people feel good about making progress is unproductive and pushes us back from having the real conversation.

I will concede that background checks are a common-sense measure to fight against gun violence. Although, there are significant issues with the system. Namely keeping criminal infractions off of juvenile records and allowing minors to not face the consequences of their actions. Instead of forgiving and forgetting the crimes of youth, such as drug offenses and run-ins with the police, we need to rehabilitate and remember, so when that child that got caught selling coke tries to buy a handgun legally, they cannot because of their record.

I retain the objections to assuming that a background check will stop gun violence. If a criminal wants to buy a gun, they will get one. It is not a matter of whether a background check will prevent criminals from getting guns, because it will not. Thinking that because now weapons are banned, criminals will not use that weapon is a naïve belief that criminals will follow the law.

“The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun.”- Wayne LaPierre, Executive Vice President of NRA.

Maxwell James, freshman accounting major

Author: Letters to the Editor

1 Comment

1. I am writing in response to the article “SGA pushes textbook affordability initiative” (Setonian, Nov. 15). In my opinion, the SGA is doing the right thing. Allow me to propose some ideas how the textbook situation could be improved. For the record, I once attended graduate school at SHU between August 1996 – January 1998 before transferring to Rutgers-Newark.

As a senator of the University College SGA at Rutgers-Newark, I faced the exact same situation with textbooks, back in April 2008. At the time, the New Jersey Legislature passed a law regarding textbooks. What the Rutgers student governments, graduate and undergraduate, did, was pass resolutions establishing the textbook rental program. Thus, a student could rent the textbook from the campus bookstore instead of buying it. There was significant savings, about half the cost of the textbook. Many of our students did use the textbook rental program.

Next, we required professors to use the textbooks for a couple of years instead of buying a new edition every year. The so-called new editions had practically no new changes, just a couple of pages updated. So instead of the textbook being new, it was anything but. Meanwhile, students were required to buy stuff included with textbooks — this was called bundling — for extra money.
    This was unfair to students, most of whom worked two jobs to pay for education.

Contacting the book publishers is another smart idea. We did that, and it helped get our message out. Instead of having a new book every year, we could use the current books for a number of years before getting a new edition published.

Finally, another option is having the professor photocopy the relevant pages and distribute them to the class. We at Rutgers had this done on more than one occasion and it worked. I would recommend Seton Hall doing the same thing.

Making textbooks affordable requires the joint participation of the students, the faculty, the administration, and the publishers. Once you have all the stakeholders participate together, a solution can be found.

Post a Reply