Pirates speed to third straight win of season

The Seton Hall women’s basketball team blew by the UTSA Roadrunners, 84-53, in the second and final game of the Seton Hall Tip-Off on Sunday, improving to 3-0 on the season.

The Pirates began the game firing on all cylinders, as they made five of their first six shots, including four three-pointers and 10 early points from Shadeen Samuels.

Leading 16-4 at the first timeout, Seton Hall continued to pour it on. The team’s magnificent first quarter was capped off by a last second layup by Kaela Hilaire. Up 35-13 when the buzzer sounded, the Pirates found themselves shooting an impressive 13-18 from the field, including 6-10 from three.

Kiera Alexander/Staff Photographer

The second quarter started slowly, however, for Seton Hall, but the Pirates were able to get to the free throw line and capitalize on second chance points to keep at a steady pace. Samuels re-entered the game and continued her great performance, making Seton Hall’s next three baskets.

Samuels ended the half with 17 points and the Pirates led 55-23.

Samuels continued her scoring barrage into the second half, as she scored Seton Hall’s first six points of the third quarter. She was soon substituted out, though, and the Pirates failed to score during her absence.

After Samuels’ departure, the Pirates went four minutes without basket before a Femi Funeus layup. The Pirates then finally picked up the pace and went on a 10-1 run to end the quarter.

Despite outscoring UTSA 20-10 in the final quarter, Seton Hall struggled to find offense. The team’s first basket came just over three minutes into the final frame, as the Pirates shot 30 percent from the field.

Samuels finished the game as the Pirates’ top scorer with 23 points. Desiree Elmore and Funeus each finished with 12 points each and grabbed nine and six rebounds, respectively.

While the team did play well, there a few spans throughout the game where it struggled to score. When asked how to improve on eliminating those droughts, Funeus said that the team must continue passing and moving the ball around until someone gets open. When the Pirates deviate from that strategy, that is when they struggle to score.

Seton Hall returns to action on Nov. 14 at Princeton University. Game time is set for 6 p.m.

Joseph Ippolito can be reached at joseph.ippolito@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @joeippy.