Pirates see mixed results at Towson meet

This past Saturday, the Seton Hall swimming and diving teams went up against Towson at Family, Friends and Alumni Day. The two squads saw mixed results, as the men’s team won, 162.5-134.5, but the women’s team lost, 197-103. Prior to the meet, Seton Hall honored the late Maran Lougheed, a Pirate swimming alumnus who tragically passed away this past summer. The Pirate Blue Athletic Fund announced that the university will be launching a scholarship named to honor her memory and the wonderful person and mother that she was. The men, as a team, won nine different events on the day. Ben Puglessi, Kyle Nash and Liam Cosgrove swept the top-three spots in the 100-fly to net one of those victories. Also notable for the men was Josh Tosoni, who finished with a time of 2:05.81, exactly four seconds ahead of the next best competitor. [caption id="attachment_24914" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] Tosoni also won the 100-breast after finishing with a time of 56.77. Joe Gibson had a phenomenal performance winning the 200-free, the 500-free, and 400-IM. Caleb Smith also put together a big win after placing first in the 1000-free with a time of 9:43.76. For the women, Courtney McCardle continued to excel in the sprints, where she won the 100-free and placed second in the 200-free and 50-free. Also scoring points in the 50-free was Clara Capone who took third and Julie Stankiewicz who took fourth. Gabby Van Tassell finished second in the 500-free after clocking in at 5:15.58, just a half-second behind the leader. The Pirates will conclude their fall slate at the Patriot Invitational in Fairfax, Va. The tournament will run from Nov. 15 to Nov. 17. Madisyn Travisano can be reached at madisyn.travisano@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @maditravisano.