Pirates battle in hard-fought affair with Butler

The Seton Hall women’s volleyball team extended its losing streak to three games on Saturday night, falling to Butler University, 3-1. The game continued Seton Hall’s struggles on the road as the team drops to 1-9 away from Walsh Gymnasium.

The match got off to a good start for the Pirates. After leading 12-10, they went on a crucial 7-2 run to lead 19-12. Butler climbed back to make the game 21-17, but the Pirates would eventually win the set, 25-21. Abby Thelen had five kills and no attack errors.

Set two was the complete opposite story as the Pirates were never able to maintain a rhythm. After trailing 6-5, they would give up eight straight points to fall down by nine. The Bulldogs would eventually win set two, 25-17.

In set three, the match was much closer and competitive. After trailing 17-16, Seton Hall was outscored, 8-5, as Butler went on to win the set by four points.

Despite the Pirates leading 19-13 at one point during the fourth set, the Bulldogs stormed back to make it a one point game. The Pirates once again had a grasp on the game with a 24-21 advantage, but the Bulldogs would again come up with a clutch run to tie the match at 25.

The Pirates would have another good chance at match point with a 27-26 lead. However, two crucial attack errors by Thelen and Caitlin Koska and a kill from Butler’s Brooke Gregory cost the Pirates the set and ultimately the match.

Thelen put up a team-best 18 kills along with two blocks on the night. Koska had 15 kills and 10 digs, and Sophia Coffey had a team-high 46 assists and 10 digs for a double-double.

The Pirates will return to action on their home court on Nov. 2 against Providence University.

Ryan Beltran can be reached at Ryan.Beltran@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @RyanB591011.