Music department concert aims to inspire hope

The Concert for Hope performed by the Seton Hall Choral Program within the Arts Council will take place at Saint Bartholomew’s Church in New York City on Oct. 28, 2018 at 7 p.m. [caption id="attachment_24688" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Merinda Gruszecki/Digital/Social Media Editor[/caption] Dr. Jason Tramm will lead the University’s Chorus and the Mid-Atlantic Symphony Chamber Orchestra as they perform songs such as the “Lorde Nelson Mass” by Haydn and “The Song of the Universal” by Ola Gjeilo, with an encore of “The Lamb” by John Taverner. The concert is titled, “Et in Terra Pax: A Concert for Hope.” Ella Small, a sophomore studying diplomacy and social work and the alto and mezzo section leader in the choir, commented on the concert’s message. “This concert’s message is literally, ‘And on Earth Peace,’” she said. “I love this message because there are few places in today’s world where we have the opportunity to be at peace. We will be singing songs that people may not understand the words of, but the feelings they provoke are aimed to give us hope and peace in a chaotic world,” Small said. “This concert is the perfect way to do this because we will be a beacon of peace in one of the loudest places on earth: New York City. Hopefully we will be able to lift people’s spirits and give them a sense of optimism.” Choir manager Andrew Cates, a junior with a triple major in art design, theatre and music also commented on the concert’s music selection. “The music is for one, is beautiful. It is also challenging but has the excellent message of peace throughout. The concert’s message is just that, peace,” Cates said. “The Nelson Mass is also sometimes referred to as ‘a mass for troubled times,’ which is truly fitting for the state of our nation and the world. Overall, I am super excited for the concert.” Rhania Kamel can be reached rhania.kamel@student.shu.edu.