Coda Kitchen and Bar aims to introduce new flavors

Coda Kitchen and Bar is a restaurant and bar located in Maplewood that serves “inspired and creative dishes” using locally sourced and organic produce. According to its website, visitors “will find a warm gathering place for great craft cocktails, great food and great company.” [caption id="attachment_24654" align="alignnone" width="838"] Merinda Gruszecki/ Digital & Social Media Editor[/caption] Luke Finn, the owner of the restaurant, said that he aimed to create an atmosphere where “everyone that walks through our door feels at home.” He said he moved to New Jersey 14 years ago from New York City and started his career as a chef at a young age. A “coda” is a musical section that is distinct from the previous passage. Finn said that he and his wife chose the restaurant’s name as a representation of the conclusion of their previous restaurant idea and the beginning of a new one. Their new restaurant, which originally was named “Indigo,” is under new management and they aim to broaden their menu by including exclusive and full-flavored entries at affordable prices. “Coda is a staple to the Maplewood neighborhood,” said Christine Wood, a bartender and manager of the restaurant. “It has consistent and quality driven products on one hand and on the other hand, we have an amazing front house that establishes great relationships with people in this town.” Finn said the restaurant specializes in creating dishes with locally sourced and organic ingredients, as well as unique cocktails. The most popular item on the menu is fish tacos, he said, which can be served grilled or Baja style. Other items on the menu include classic barbecue options, a variety of sliders, Cuban and Thai options. Finn said their objective was one of adaptation to new changing food trends. One specialty item is the grilled baseball cut sirloin, which is a Spanish tomato and spinach tortilla recipe. Another specialty offered is the “Thai Hot Spot,” which includes sushi rice and Thai sauce made of lemon grass and ginger. Carolina Fernandez, a junior biology major, described her dining experience at the restaurant. “I had the fish tacos and they were a little underwhelming, but OK,” Fernandez said. “For the price, it’s not anything I haven’t seen at every other classic American restaurant. I’d like to see a little more creativity in the kitchen but other than that, it was a good meal.” Finn said, “What makes us unique is that we are not centered on one idea, we are always adapting to what we like to eat and drink and what our customers ask for.” Finn said that he always enjoyed his relationship with Seton Hall. “We have always invited Seton Hall students to work for us,” he said, “and [we] have had many over the years and have been very accommodating to their schedules.” Werdeh Hassan can be reached at werdeh.hassan@student.shu.edu.