Pirates winless streak extended with loss to Xavier

The Seton Hall women’s soccer team was shoutout, 3-0, by Xavier on Thursday night. The loss drops the Pirates to 2-10-4. The Pirates began the game aggressively, getting a shot on goal in the first minute courtesy of Dani Brinckman. The two sides remained in a stalemate until the 9th minute, but Xavier’s Carrie Lewis chipped a shot over the goalkeeper to make the score 1-0 shortly after. After another lull in action, Seton Hall seemed to be in the clear when a good leading pass set up an Eva Gonzalez shot, but it missed high. In the 30th minute, Xavier fired a shot that seemed to be destined for the back of the net but was blocked by Alyssa Reszkowski to keep the Pirates within one goal. [caption id="attachment_24620" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Renee Nunez/Staff Photographer[/caption] Outside of the goal, the two teams played evenly in the first half. Seton Hall attempted four shots, while Xavier attempted three. Each team had a corner kick, and Xavier had five fouls compared to Seton Hall’s two. Only 15 minutes into the second half, Xavier struck again when Emily Burton scored a goal to extend the lead to two. Then, with just 16 minutes left, Xavier’s Samantha Dewey out ran the Seton Hall defense to the net the third goal for Xavier. The loss extends the Pirates’ winless streak to 11 games. When asked how the team could snap this streak, head coach Rick Stainton pointed to his offense. “Just getting a goal or two. Defensively, I know we can be solid, it’s just after that first [goal] we concede,” Stainton said. “Every game becomes a backstreet brawl just trying to find a way to get one, and unfortunately we can’t get that one goal that can help set us up.” The Pirates return to action in their penultimate game of the season on Sunday, taking on Providence at 1 p.m. Joseph Ippolito can be reached at joseph.ippolito@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @joeippy.