Students voice concerns about Public Safety

Public Safety is the department at Seton Hall that provides the policies, programs and protection for the security and safety of the university’s members. According to its mission statement, the department is committed to helping members enjoy a safe and secure environment both on and off campus. [caption id="attachment_24516" align="alignnone" width="838"] Kiera Alexander/Asst. Photography Editor[/caption] Patrick Linfante, the associate vice president of Public Safety, discussed the mechanisms and systems of the department. “The men and women of the Department of Public Safety are here for the protection of everyone on our campus as well as their property and all university-owned property,” Linfante said. Public Safety officers have responsibilities. Officers who are assigned to SafeRide, one of the department’s transportation services, spend their day delivering students to locations off campus and bringing them back to campus. Linfante said it is the officer’s duty to not only escort the students, but also safeguard their protection. Roba Hassan, a sophomore speech pathology and education major, shared her experience with SafeRide. “SafeRide offered my education class a ride to Marshall Elementary School when they heard we were going to walk in the snow,” Hassan said. However, graduate student Amatullah Shaw, a diplomacy major, had a different perspective on Public Safety’s transportation services. She said that there should be more for stops, at off-campus locations. “Where they [SHUFly drivers] pick students up from Public Safety is literally on the other end of campus,” Shaw said. “It isn’t well lit nor is there a lot of traffic, so you don’t really feel safe over there.” SHUfly buses travel around South Orange and stop at several designated areas on campus and around town, operating on a consistent schedule throughout the week. Linfante explained the duties of University Safety Patrol, which is designated to guarding the campus. “Officers assigned to patrolling the campus and responding to calls for service might respond to a personal injury call or dispatched to assist a motorist with a jump start,” Linfante said. “They could be enforcing parking regulations, submitting an incident report on theft of personal property, responding to a motor vehicle accident, fire alarm or burglar alarm.” The Department of Public Safety also investigates complaints made by students as well as incidents that occur on campus. Assistant Director Michael Bradley, who has more than 20 years of law enforcement investigative experience, investigates these reports. He works closely with the local police department on criminal matters and complaints occurring on campus. In order to create a safe haven on campus, Linfante said the effort is not solely based on the department. He said, “Remember, Public Safety is everyone’s responsibility.” Werdeh Hassan can be reached at werdeh.hassan@student.shu.edu.