Rugby, other club sports provide an athletic outlet

Seton Hall, like many other colleges, offers more than just official collegiate sports. For many students, club sports are a great option for those who are not ready for their athletic careers to end. One of the club sports that Seton Hall offers on campus is rugby. In sitting down with Lawson Barkley, a member of the team, it was evident how rugby benefits the members on the team and the opportunities that it offers them. [caption id="attachment_24614" align="aligncenter" width="800"] Photo via Hall Pass.[/caption] Barkley plays wing, which he believes is crucial because he brings width and speed to the games. For Barkley, being able to be on the rugby team has many perks. “The best part about being on the team is the camaraderie that comes with it,” Barkley said. “The players are good guys and you form a connection with them. I would compare the friendships to those made playing high school sports. They become your close friends.” The game provides an outlet for Barkley and his friends to continue playing sports, which is especially nice at a school where athletics are held at such a high standard. He suggests that anyone who is interested should come and at least check it out. “My advice for anyone looking to get into rugby would be to come out to a practice and just watch the game,” Barkley said. “I did that my first year here and was hooked ever since. If you miss competitive sports and want to have a reason to be in shape, rugby is a great solution.” “Before every game, the team starters huddle up together and repeat a chant after captain Matt Leto. I feel like this prepares everyone’s mindset for the battle that is about to take place. Rugby is not a game for the weak or scared.” Still, though, Barkley has no regrets about joining. After coming out to practices last year to get a feel, Barkley officially joined once the scheduled practice time was changed. “I wish I played rugby sooner,” Barkley said. “I am scheduling my classes around the practice schedule, so I can continue to play.” Anthony Talarico can be reached at anthony.talarico@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @ant_tal.