Powerful offense leads to sweep of DePaul

Seton Hall women’s volleyball swept DePaul University on Friday evening, improving the team’s record to 7-14.

Seton Hall came strong out of the gate, as DePaul struggled to find ways to defend. The Pirates started the set going up 4-0, and they did not look back from there and closed out set one 25-18. Caitlin Koska and Haylee Gasser had four kills apiece, leading the way for the team.

Sarah Yenesel / Photography Editor

The second set began evenly with each team taking turns registering points. Seton Hall, however, was eventually able to pull away with a two-point lead, 9-7. The Pirates would go on to take control and ultimately win the set 25-12. Gasser continued to impress, tacking on five more kills and having zero attack errors.

Seton Hall continued with the energy from the first two sets by setting the tone early in the third set. With Gasser’s 12th kill of the game, the Pirates won, 25-16, to complete the sweep.

“We’re a team who needs momentum.” Gasser said. “Having this big win against DePaul, sweeping them, it just really boosts our confidence.”

Coming off a win at Providence, the win was critical for the Pirates.

“Were still not half way through conference play,” head coach Allison Yaeger said. “What’s fun about this conference is that anyone can beat anyone on any given day. The whole conference is good, so that gives us opportunity to be knocking on the door for playoffs.”

The Pirates will look to make it three wins in a row on Oct. 13 when they take on Marquette University. First serve is set for 5 p.m.

Brittany Tomore can be reached at Brittany.tomore@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @BrittTomore.

Author: Brittany Tomore