Pirates taken to overtime by UMass Lowell

In a game dominated by physical contact, the Seton Hall women’s soccer team drew, 1-1, in overtime against the University of Massachusetts Lowell on Thursday night.

From the jump, both teams looked to push the pace. Pirates midfielder Emma Ramsay executed a skill move to put a shot on target within the first five minutes, although it was saved by the opposing keeper. The Pirates had two more shots on goal within the next few possessions.

Due to the physical nature of the game, each squad earned numerous penalties throughout the match. After a collision with Marissa Aniolowski during a break upfield, UMass Lowell’s Dunja Mostarac went down with 13 minutes remaining in the first half. The injury froze any momentum the Pirates had and handed the ball back to the opponent.

Renee Nunez / Staff Photographer

Offensively, Seton Hall seemed to be one good decision away from finding results. Rather than choosing wide, the team would push the ball down the middle. Instead of switching from one side to the other, the team were forcing the sideline. The offense rarely crossed the 18 in the first half of play.

At the break, both teams appeared to be evenly-matched. Seton Hall had five shots, two saves, and one corner kick, and UMass Lowell had five shots, two saves, and zero corners.

Leading up to overtime, the second half saw a plethora of impressive saves, skill moves, and a pair of impactful goals.

Only a few minutes into the second half, Pirates goalie Anna MacLean made a leaping save to rob UMass Lowell of a sure-fire goal.

The Pirates were finally able to break through in the 53rd minute, as Cassy Harrigan beat the keeper with a well-placed strike to the back right of the net.

Seton Hall’s defense would continue to shine for much of the half. MacLean recorded another key save in the 60th minute that came from a few yards outside of the six.

With just a few minutes left on the clock, however, the River Hawks were able to strike back, as Mostarac evened the score.

The game would see an overtime with plenty of shots on goal from both sides, although neither team was able to break through.

Despite not ending with a win, Seton Hall head coach Rick Stainton sees the many positives from the game that can be built upon moving forward.

“Our attack continues to improve and improve,” Stainton said. “We’re dangerous going forward so now we need to make the sacrifices and get an edge.”

As Seton Hall prepares for a two-game road trip, Stainton hopes that his team can learn from its performance on Thursday as well as the culmination of the prior games.

“We always reflect back. Every game is a learning experience,” Stainton said. “Win, lose, or draw. An Achilles heel of ours has been giving the ball up in dangerous areas. Sometimes it’s a mental lapse but that’s not on anyone individually. We’re one unit and we’ll improve.”

Anthony Talarico can be reached at anthony.talarico@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @ant_tal.

tudent.shu.edu or on Twitter @ant_tal.

Author: Anthony Talarico