New Walsh exhibit has visitors ‘Seeing Red’

Meghan Brady and Alexandra Henderson, both candidates in the museum professions graduate program, opened their new exhibit in the Walsh Gallery on Sept. 4.

The exhibit, titled “Seeing Red,” focuses on the emotional meaning behind the color through four themes: art, culture, politics and religion. Brady and Henderson aim to convince viewers that red is not just a color, but a characteristic of visual perception that conveys emotion and definition. According to the background on “Seeing Red,” the color of red represents blood, adultery, passion, love and heat.

Alexandra Torres/Staff Photographer

Brady and Henderson curated the exhibit by presenting artworks of Angelica Bergamini, Pasquale Cuppari, Eric Jiaju Lee, Ben Jones, Heejung Kim, Carole Loeffler, Yuli Sung and Peter Treiber and other items that signify the color red. Nathaniel Hawthorne’s novel, “The Scarlet Letter,” is also included in the exhibit.

Henderson explained that Jeanne Brasile, director of the Walsh Gallery, chose to work with her and Brady for the pair’s interdisciplinary show. Brasile gave them the color to work with as a topic. They were then given freedom to explore how that might play into the exhibit.

“While brainstorming, we looked at color theory and how red affects people psychologically, how different cultures see it, how it is used politically, and its other associations,” Henderson said. “We found that meanings cross-culturally overlapped at times, while at others remain culturally unique.”

Brady said displaying their exhibition in the Walsh building connected to their goal of educating others about various cultures.

“The library is a place of learning where members of the community can come to retrieve information in different ways, whether that be in the stacks upstairs, in the archives, or in the gallery,” Brady said. “Our interdisciplinary show pulls information and materials from these sources plus art from local artists to create one cohesive exhibition.”

Emily Jung, a junior visual and sound media major, visited the exhibit and said the theme was interesting. “It honestly reminded me of my cousin since his favorite color was red and it was nice to see something that reminded me of him,” Jung said.

“It was interesting how red was used to convey opposite emotions like love and hatred. In some art pieces, I saw symbols of love such as a human heart, but in others, red was used as forms of propaganda. It’s remarkable how one color could be used to represent both love and hate.”

Wil Chagula, a junior computer science major, said his visit was a great experience. “It was an excellent expression of red meaning more than just an emotion as simple as anger,” he said. “It showed itself in the form of life representing the heart, intelligence in the form of the scarlet letter.”

Ruth Kang, a junior social and behavioral sciences major, said she thought that it was an amazing exhibit that everyone at Seton Hall should visit at least once.

“All the various art pieces were different from each other but it all [struck] a common theme of love, empowerment and strength,” Kang said. “I would definitely go again to show some of my other friends.”

The exhibit will be displayed in the Walsh Gallery until Oct. 20 and is located on the first floor of the Walsh Library. The gallery is open Monday through Friday, from 10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Alexa Coughlin can be reached at alexa.coughlin@student.shu.edu.

Author: Alexa Coughlin