SHU year-round guide to exploring the city

Filled with culture, sports, music, theatre and more, New York City has something for everyone. [caption id="attachment_23719" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo courtesy of Flickr[/caption] Known for its close proximity to the city, Seton Hall is just less than an hour away by train. The South Orange station is only a 15 to 20-minute walk from campus and students can ride the SHUFLY to the train station. According to the New Jersey Transit website, an adult one-way train ticket to Penn Station in New York City is $7.25. Anthony Pulverenti, a senior finance and marketing major, described his experience visiting the city. “What I enjoy most is staring in awe at the massive buildings,” Pulverenti said. “Growing up in the suburbs, there aren’t many unbelievable feats of architecture. Then, you get off the train at Penn Station and it’s like you’re in a different world.” Pulverenti said that one of his favorite stores is the Yankees Clubhouse located in Times Square, which is full of memorabilia and collectibles. He recommends seeing a sports game while in the city, he said. New York is home to several sports teams such as the Mets, Knicks, Rangers and Yankees. New York City is also famous for its Broadway shows like “Hamilton,” “The Lion King,” “Anastasia,” “Waitress,” and many more. Kimberly Paltz, a sophomore nursing major, said that her favorite memory was going to see “Dear Evan Hansen” with her mother in March. “Live theater is a truly mesmerizing experience,” Paltz said. “I really don’t think my experience with the show would have been the same had it not been in New York City.” Annabella Pastorok, a junior biology and chemistry major, said that her favorite memories of the city often include music. She attended a concert series in Brooklyn called “Sofar Sounds” where listeners do not find out who the performer is until they arrive. “I would probably recommend immersing yourself in the culture, so to me, the city screams music,” Pastorok said. While there are many year-round activities for students to do in the city, many Seton Hall students have said that Christmas is the best time of the year to visit. During the holiday season, students can go to Rockefeller Center to view the Christmas tree, visit the Winter Village in Bryant Park and purchase tickets to see the Rockettes’ “Christmas Spectacular” at Radio City Music Hall. Daniel D’Amico can be reached at daniel.damico@student.shu.edu.