Public Relations wins 2018 Telly Award

In May 2018, Seton Hall University’s Public Relations and Marketing Department, along with their production partner, Pittsburgh-based Awesome Films, received an unprecedented honor: the bronze 2018 Telly Award. [caption id="attachment_23809" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Video still via Youtube[/caption] The Telly Awards have been around since 1979 and, according to their website, seek to “honor[s] excellence in video and television across all screens.” This bronze medal is the first Telly Award that Seton Hall has received. Senior Director of Strategic Marketing Linda Karten said via email, “Winning a bronze Telly Award for our promotional video was really exciting; it was a first for us. Seton Hall was among a very impressive group of winners, including Conde Nasté and the San Francisco Giants, who were recognized this year for their outstanding video work.” The “I’m Ready” video is part of the ongoing “I’m Ready” project which promotes Seton Hall. The project has been in place for the last several years at Seton Hall. “I’m Ready has been a big hit. Students share their Seton Hall stories and plans for life after graduation. We’ve spoken to students who are launching brilliant careers in sports marketing and on Wall Street,” Karten said. “Others are volunteering for the Peace Corps and starting their own NGOs.” On July 10, 2017, Seton Hall’s Public Relations and Marketing Department took the next step in the campaign by releasing the “I’m Ready” video. “Last year, we decided to kick it up a notch by bringing the ‘I’m Ready’ stories to life through video. We enlisted Awesome Films to lead the production,” Karten said. “The video was shot right here on campus and was shown during our men’s basketball games on the Fox Sports channel. Students play a key production role in the ‘I’m Ready’ campaign.” Lisa Demytrk, a 2018 graduate of Seton Hall, played an important role in the filming of the video. In a phone interview, she recalled, “One of the problems that I remember the most was the weather we had to work with,” as the video was filmed in part outside. “I think the video was really effective as a marketing tool…because it got to show real students on our campus, what they’re doing, what they’re capable of doing,” said Demytrk. The “I’m Ready video” is the cherry on top of the “I’m Ready” project’s success. Senior Public Relations major Courtney Jenney said via email, “Because of the variety of students and fields, there is a personal level to the video, which I think draws attention better than most marketing tactics. People like to see the students around campus, and they like to see what their dreams are goals are. It’s much more effective than just listing a bunch of statistics or company names.” Marie Leone can be reached at marie.leone@student.shu.edu.