Harrigan lifts Pirates over Quinnipiac with late goal

Thanks to a 73rd-minute header from sophomore midfielder Cassy Harrigan, Seton Hall improved to 2-2 on the year with a 1-0 road victory over Quinnipiac on Wednesday night. Throughout the night, Seton Hall dominated possession and out-shot Quinnipiac 19-7, but the Pirates were unable to break through until the later stages of the game. A corner kick from senior Lauren Garcia did the trick, though, as Garcia's beautifully played ball found Harrigan's head and wound up in the back of the net on a well-executed set piece. The corner was set up by sophomore Atley Fortney, whose charge into the box force Quinnipiac's goalkeeper to make a play on the ball. [caption id="attachment_20437" align="aligncenter" width="1440"] Sophomore Cassy Harrigan's 73rd-minute goal lifted Seton Hall to victory over Quinnipiac - Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] Although Harrigan was the one who netted the eventual game-winner, it was a group effort offensively for Seton Hall on the evening. A total of 10 different Pirates registered shots a shot and sophomore defender Dani Brinckman led the team with four shots in a homecoming game for the Connecticut native. In the first half, Seton Hall outshot Quinnipiac 9-3 and did not let up coming out of halftime, outshooting the Bobcats 10-4 in the second half. Senior goalkeeper Anna MacLean did her part as well, stopping four Quinnipiac shots on her way to her third clean sheet in five games. It was also the seventh shutout of MacLean's career. With the win, Seton Hall has already doubled its win total from a year ago. The Pirates will look to stay hot on Monday, as they take on in-state rival Monmouth on Labor Day. Kickoff is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. at Owen T. Carroll Field. Tyler Calvaruso can be reached at tyler.calvaruso@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @tyler_calvaruso