Meehan to serve as president through June 2019

Dr. Mary Meehan will continue to serve as Seton Hall’s interim president until June 2019, according to an email sent by Patrick Murray. Murray, who serves as the chair of the Board of Regents, also shared updates on the ongoing presidential search stating, “…the Regents did not deem any of them [candidates] to be the one to lead the University in this time of unprecedented success and opportunity.” [caption id="attachment_23609" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Meehan will serve as president of Seton Hall through the next academic year. Sarah Yenesel/Photography Editor.[/caption] “With the best interests of the University in mind, the Regents have therefore decided to continue and renew the search process,” Murray said. “In the next few weeks, a new search firm will be retained and a new search committee will be constituted.” Meehan said in an email that the Board of Regents and Murray asked her to stay for another year. When asked why she agreed to renew her contract, Meehan shared, “I love our university. Seton Hall helped to shape me into the person I am today.” Meehan said she hopes to improve on the success Seton Hall had during the previous year. Examples include increased enrollment and negotiations made with Hackensack Meridian Health, according to Meehan. She shared that she also anticipates accomplishing more for the university in the year ahead. Rahat Islam, a junior economics major, said he feels unsure about the decision regarding the presidential search. Although he is glad the university is taking their time with selecting a new president, he said the overall process is taking longer than it should. Gabriela Reyes, a senior SOBS major, shared she agrees with the board’s decision to extend Meehan’s contract, and is glad the board was not rash in choosing a new president. She stated that she hopes the board will take their time and select an appropriate candidate who is dedicated to their position, and not rush the process. Hannah Sakha can be reached at hannah.sakha@student.shu.edu.