SHU moves forward with caf renovations

Seton Hall’s Pirate Dining Room is presently undergoing renovations to revamp its current layout and services. The Setonian previously reported that the Gourmet Dining Services (GDS) extended its hours from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. to better accommodate students. Alfred Frungillo, chief executive officer of Gourmet Dining, addressed future changes that students could expect, including a station for pre-ordered meals and more vegetarian entrees. [caption id="attachment_23432" align="aligncenter" width="838"] File Photo by Greg Medina. The renovations being made to the caf include brand new counters, furniture, ceilings, flooring and wall finishes.[/caption] Victoria Pivovarnick, projects manager of the Facilities Engineering Department, shared in an email that construction began on May 17 and anticipates it ending on Aug. 22, in time for fall move-in day. She said students could expect major renovations to the cafeteria including brand new counters, furniture, ceilings, flooring and wall finishes. Other changes, according to Pivovarnick, include changing the current serving bars and “removing the existing beverage and dessert island for two new separate stations.” Some of the renovations include more environmentally friendly concepts, including energy efficient LED lights and chairs made from recycled coke bottles, Pivovarnick said. “On the retail side [commuter cafeteria] you will see the BYOB concept replaced with Jersey Mike’s, in addition to painting, additional lighting and more booth seating,” Pivovarnick said. According to Pivovarnick, students can also “expect a change in color scheme” where “we will be using Seton Hall Blue, white and light greys” to better match the university colors. Andrew Cates, a junior art design, theatre and music major, shared his excitement about the new renovations. “I think that a solid jump forward is what we need for our aging cafeteria,” Cates said. “The new sunroom is so nice, hopefully the rest of the caf[eteria] will come to match it.” Cates said that the frequent complaints from the student body about the quality of food provided in the cafeteria was a recurring issue. He said that “hopefully a known to be good proprietor, such as Jersey Mike’s, as well as ‘hipster’ food that college students enjoy like acai smoothie bowls, will help raise the bar.” Hannah Sakha can be reached at hannah.sakha@student.shu.edu.