Yeom snags second in Big East Tournament

Flushing, N.Y. native Chris Yeom finished tied for second individually, as the Seton Hall men’s golf team finished fourth as a team at the Big East Tournament in Callawassie Island, S.C., which took place from April 29-May 1. Yeom’s team leading score of one-under-par, 71, was sufficient enough to land him in a tie with Marquette’s Matt Murlick in the field of 45 golfers. Marquette’s Hunter Eichhorn took the individual title with a two-under score. [caption id="attachment_23090" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] Every Seton Hall golfer finished high individually across the board at the Callawassie Island Golf Club, with each Pirate that competed finishing in the top 30 of competition. Gregor Tait, who recently won top male freshman athlete at the second annual “SHUcademy Awards,” struggled in his first couple rounds. Following an 81 and 79 on the par-72 course in rounds one and two, Tait was able to bounce back with a one-over, 73, in the final round. His three birdies on the third day helped him slightly climb up the board to finish 25th in the tournament, with a score of 73. Following right behind Tait was the sophomore from Scotland, Alex Chalk. Over the three days in South Carolina, Chalk was 18-over-par with a score of 83-73-78. This came as a result of Chalk parring on four of his last five holes on the day. Finishing above Tait and Chalk was junior Gen Nagai. Nagai hit one of only two eagles hit all tournament on his last day of action, which helped out his score immensely. His score of 10-over-par was sufficient enough to earn him a tie for 12th spot on the leaderboard. Rounding out the squad for the Pirates was senior Linus Yip, who played his final round as a college student. He recorded seven straight pars in his last round of play, and finished with a 21-over-par. Yip finished in 30th place to end his Seton Hall career. Georgetown, who ranked fourth in the conference on Golfstat entering the final tournament, surprised the field to take the crown. Rounding out the top three were Marquette and DePaul. On the season, the Pirates have a lot of accomplishments to hang their hat on. Yeom will be poised to be a leader on the squad, after being named to the 2018 All-Big East First Team. Dalton Allison can be reached at Dalton.allison@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @DaltonAllison4.