Pirates carry over weekend success with another 11-run outburst

The Seton Hall baseball team continued its winning ways into the midweek, taking down out-of-conference opponent Saint Peter’s on Tuesday afternoon, 11-1, at Owen T. Carroll Field.

After a scoreless first inning, Saint Peter’s struck first when Tom Campo’s ground-out to short brought in Peter Ferony, who tripled to right field the play before.

Amanda Courtney/Staff Photographer

The Pirates struck back, however, in the bottom half of the inning, as Connor Hood singled and brought in Chris Villa for the first run, which was soon followed by a Sebastiano Santorelli two-RBI double to left-center.

The Pirates started with Tyler Burnham on the mound, but handed the ball to six different pitchers by game’s end. The Pirates immediate response was enough to earn Burnham the win for 2.0 innings of work, in which he struck out one and allowed one run.

Ryan McLinskey came on in relief in the third inning, beginning seven innings of excellent relief. McLinskey gave up two hits but no runs, and after him, Blake Espinal, Dylan Verdonk, Hunter Waldis and Matt Ponsiglione each pitched flawless innings, without a hit or walk.

“The pitchers did a really good job,” head coach Rob Sheppard said after the game. “They threw a lot of strikes. They were very efficient.”

In the bottom half, Villa singled to left field to bring in Christian Del Castillo, followed by a Ryan Lutz ground-out that allowed Nick Dabrio to score on a fielder’s choice. After a Hood double, Rob Dadona made sure he was in on the act, singling up the middle to knock in both Hood and Lutz, giving the Pirates a 7-1 lead after three.

In the fourth, the Pirates struck again, as Nick Dabrio hit a sacrifice-fly to bring Chris Talbott across the plate. Up next was Villa, and the junior catcher who already had two singles and an RBI, maintained his hot hand, lining a double into left field that scored Tyler Shedler-McAvoy and gave the Pirates a 9-1 lead.

“I was just looking to get something I could hit,” Villa said after the game. “Got late in the count, I got a fastball and just let it go.”

After a scoreless sixth and seventh inning, Seton Hall added two more in the bottom of the seventh, as Thomas Holdorf found his way on the board with an RBI-single. Then, Casey Dana recorded a sacrifice-fly which scored Hood and give Seton Hall the 11-1 final score.

The win over Saint Peter’s was the second straight game Seton Hall was able to put 11 runs on the board, following the team’s 11-2 win over Villanova on April 29.

“I think we have success when we hit as a line up,” Sheppard said. “When we’re able to get some production from our lead-off hitter all the way to our nine-batter, that’s how we’re going to have success.”

Seton Hall will play again this weekend in a crucial Big East series at Creighton. The first game of its three-game series will take place on Friday May 4. The game will be broadcasted nationally on FS1, the first national broadcast for the Pirates all season.

Keith Egan can be reached at keith.egan@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @Keith_egan10.

Author: Keith Egan