With one out to spare, three-run eighth inning gives Pirates series sweep

The Seton Hall baseball team took down Butler on Sunday, 7-5, for a three-game series sweep in Indianapolis, Ind. The win allows the Pirates to stay in second place in the Big East, at 5-1, with an overall record of 17-14-1. The lead traded hands three times in total, with Butler starting in front, but, Seton Hall ending in front. In the eighth inning, with two outs and nobody on base, Seton Hall managed to score three runs, with a combination of timely hitting, luck and clutch power, to earn the come-from-behind win. [caption id="attachment_22062" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] Butler got off to a quick start, scoring two runs in the bottom of the first inning. However, the Hall responded quickly, tying the game in the top of the third. Casey Dana led off the inning with a double, reached third on a groundout and scored on a Connor Hood hit that was mishandled by Bulldogs leftfielder Harrison Freed. Hood then scored thanks to a sacrifice-fly from Rob Dadona.The Hall extended its lead to 3-2 in the fourth inning; however, Butler regained control, scoring one run in each of the next two innings, for a 4-3 advantage. The seventh inning was key for the Pirates, as Tyler Shedler-McAvoy hit a solo home run to tie the game at four runs apiece. However, to keep with the back-and-forth nature of the contest, Butler scored another run in the bottom of the seventh, for a 5-4 lead. Ryan Ramiz got the eighth inning started for Seton Hall with a single, followed by Shedler-McAvoy, who struck out initially, but, reached base after a dropped third strike and late throw to first. Casey Dana then took matters into his own hands, with a three-run home run that won the contest. Dana was the standout for the Pirates, going 2-for-4, with a double and that home run. Shedler-McAvoy also hit his first home run of the season and had two RBIs. Next up for Seton Hall is a home game, against NJIT, on Tuesday, April 24. First pitch is set for 3:30 p.m. Mat Mlodzinski can be reached at mat.mlodzinski@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @Mlodzinski_15.