School of Diplomacy hires new professor

The School of Diplomacy and International Relations has hired Joseph Huddleston to be a professor, starting this upcoming Fall 2018 Semester. Joseph Huddleston received his Bachelor of Arts from Chapman University in Peace Studies, and is currently completing his Doctorate in Political Science and International Relations at the University of Southern California (USC). [caption id="attachment_22783" align="aligncenter" width="450"] Photo via Linkedin/Joseph Huddleston[/caption] Huddleston has taught these methods to leading university classes, as well as a graduate math boot camp at USC. In regards to the hiring of Huddleston, Andrea Bartoli, the dean of the school of diplomacy and international relations, is extremely excited to have a new addition to the department. He believes that “it is always a great moment when new faculty members comes.” “There is a new energy on campus and the university is finding itself in a new light, through this new hire,” he said. “The hiring process is a way for the school as a whole to come together, as the process involves the faculty committee, the Deans and even the students, during public discussions.” According to Dean Bartoli, the hiring of Huddleston did not come easy. He participated in a competitive hiring process that attracts candidate worldwide. Hundreds of candidates applied for the position, but only one, Huddleston, was selected. The Provost faculty on campus establishes a committee to select a group of the best applicants, who will then be interviewed, either by Skype, by phone or any other interactive way. For this specific hiring, Huddleston was one of three applicants, who were all invited to visit the campus and meet the faculty members in person. An internal debate between the Provost committee ultimately determined that he was the best applicant to be offered a job to join the SHU faculty family. According to the school of diplomacy and international relations faculty, Huddleston is excited to engage with both undergraduate and graduate diplomacy students this upcoming fall 2018 semester. Huddleston responded to the job offer. “I am humbled by the opportunity to join the excellent faculty at the School of Diplomacy, and I look forward to working with its bright, ambitious students,” he said. He hopes to explore the possibility of creating a research lab, where students can learn and practice research design and statistical analysis in a relaxed environment. More broadly, he hopes to help diplomacy students to develop an appreciation for the process and presentation of original research in the field. Alyssa Hawkins can be reached at alyssa.hawkins@student.shu.edu.