New assistant dean for leadership developement named

Colleen Dallavalle will become Seton Hall’s new Assistant Dean of Students for Leadership Developement starting April 16.

According to Dean Van Norman, associate vice president and dean of Students, the university advertised the position and it received 94 applications. The successful candidate needed to have a Master’s Degree and at least 3 to 5 years of experience working in Student Affairs in higher education.

According to the position’s description summary, the Assistant Dean of Students for Leadership Development position provides “the strategic direction for the leadership development area, designing a comprehensive program of opportunities for students to learn, experience, and develop leadership and civic engagement skills beyond the classroom.”

Van Norman said that Dallavalle’s qualified credentials and her familiarity with Seton Hall’s emphasis on servant leadership via email.

“She has varied experience in student leadership, Greek Life, multicultural programming, student advising, and student development,” Van Norman said. “As a graduate of Seton Hall, she knows what it means to be a Pirate and a servant leader.  I am excited to have the opportunity to work with her again because I know how committed she is to a quality experience for all of our students.”

Dallavalle, an alumna of Seton Hall University who was also married on campus, has worked with Greek life, leadership development, culturally based programming, diversity and inclusion, and with student clubs and organizations at institutions, such as The College of New Jersey and Hudson Community College.

Moreover, this is not her first position at Seton Hall. Dallavalle was a Freshman Studies Mentor and an Operations Coordinator for Seton Summer Scholar Program from 2009 to 2011. Additionally, she held the position of Assistant Director for Leadership Development from 2011 to 2013.

“Part of SHU’s mission is being a servant leader and a global citizen; in this role, I am able to work with Student Government Association, faculty and staff members, as well as all clubs and organizations to help support the student experience!,” Dallavalle wrote in an email.

Dallavalle said she is most excited about working will all the students, staff and faculty at Seton Hall. The opportunity to institute positive change within the community holds a close place in her heart as an alumna.

Furthermore, she expressed her plans to work alongside the Student Government Association (SGA) in encouraging voter registration and local involvement within South Orange.

“I will be out and about around campus, coming to meetings, and going to events to talk to students, interact, and see how I can help!,” Dallavalle said. “I am eager to work with the community to identify challenges we face, and work to create meaningful, positive change that is sustainable.”

Dallavalle stated that Seton Hall’s holistic education commits students to academic excellence. Additionally, she admires Seton Hall for its welcoming community.

“I have had the opportunity to work at a variety of different institutions: public, private, community college and four-year institution, and I have seen what I value most in a University embodied here at The Hall,” Dallavalle said. “The sense of community amongst staff and students is something I have always valued, and there is no place I have felt that more, than at SHU.”

Thomas Schwartz can be reached at thomas.schwartz@student.shu.edu.