Hot Hofstra bats too much for Pirates to handle in five-inning loss

The Seton Hall softball team (17-22) went to New York on Tuesday afternoon for a mid-week matchup against Hofstra (24-8). Led by their offensive prowess and pitching, Hofstra took the game 10-2 in five innings. Reganne Camp got the start for the Hall as Sarah Cornell got the start for the Pride. After holding the Pirates scoreless in the top of the first inning, the Pride got their chance to crack open the scoring in the bottom half. After striking out the leadoff batter, Camp gave up a solo home run to Hofstra’s Brielle Pietrafesa. Camp held off further scoring, though, by forcing back-to-back groundballs. [caption id="attachment_22663" align="aligncenter" width="1200"] Sean Barry/Staff Photographer[/caption] Seton Hall was again held off the bases in the second inning by Cornell, who struck out a batter and got two pop up outs in the inning. Hofstra started off the bottom of the second by getting its first two batters on base with a leadoff double followed by a single. Following two ground balls, the situation was two runners on and two outs. Michaela Transue hit a single bringing in the runner from third to give Hofstra a 3-0 lead. After a walk and another RBI single, this time from Pietrafesa, the Pride took a 4-0 lead. Brittany Allocca then broke the game wide open with a two-run single of her own to widen the deficit to six, bringing an end to the day for Camp who finished allowing six hits, six earned runs and one strikeout. Seton Hall made the game a bit closer in the third inning, finally cracking the scorebooks. Darby Pandolfo led off with a single, but following two strikeouts it looked as though the Pirates would not make anything of it. On a three-ball and one-strike count, Janae Barracato unloaded on a ball and put it over the wall in left to score the Pirates' only two runs of the game, making it 6-2 game. Yet Hofstra responded with two runs of its own on a pair of solo home runs by Courtney Scarpato and Nikki Michalowski to go up 8-2. Hostra came into the bottom of the fifth inning needing two runs to end the game by mercy rule. Following a one-out double and a two-out single, Kristin Hallam walked it off for Hofstra with an RBI single. Cornell pitched beautifully for the Pride, giving up just three hits and two earned runs with seven strikeouts in five innings. Seton Hall will take the field again Saturday, April 14 in a visit to St. John’s at 12 p.m. Connor Hester can be reached at connor.hester@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @connor_hester31.