Heavy hitters outlast Pirates in final game in Hawaii

Despite strong outings from two of its freshman pitchers, the Seton Hall baseball team was bested by the Hawaii Rainbow Warriors on Monday night, 3-2, in the final game of the teams’ series in Honolulu, Hawaii. Pirates freshman Tyler Burnham got the start, while fellow freshman Ryan McLinskey came on in relief and pitched the rest of the way in the loss. Burnham pitched five innings, giving up two runs, while striking out three. [caption id="attachment_22467" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] McLinskey faced ten batters and was able to retire nine of them. It was for the most part a gem of a closing effort for the freshman; however, his one hit was a solo home run surrendered in the sixth inning, with the game tied at 2-2. The home run, which was surrendered to Hawaii’s Adam Fogel, gave McLinskey th loss, despite his three innings of one-hit ball, in which he struck out three and did not surrender a walk. The Hall got off to a hot start thanks to senior Rob Dadona, with Dadona crushing his first home run of the season on the game’s first pitch. He finished the game 2-for-4 with a home run, double, RBI, and a run scored. Mike Alescio; meanwhile, led the Pirates with three hits, as the senior became the team’s leader in batting average over Dadona by one point, at .343. The Rainbow Warriors of Hawaii had an answer for every effort the Pirates had on Monday night. Following Dadona’s first-inning home run, Hawaii tied the game with an RBI-ground out in the bottom of the second.  With the score at one-a-piece, Burnham surrendered a solo home run in the fourth to Hawaii’s Kekai Rios that gave the Rainbow Warriors their first lead of the game. The Pirates were able to tie the game in the sixth, but again, the Rainbow Warriors pulled in front, with the go-ahead Fogel home run in the bottom half of the inning. After moving to .500 after the first two games of the series in Honolulu, Hawaii, the Pirates fall to 9-11-1 with the losses on Sunday and Monday. Seton Hall will return home, although, the team has two more local road games before again taking Owen T. Carroll Field. The team will play next on Wednesday, April 4 against Wagner in Staten Island, N.Y., with first pitch scheduled for 3:30 p.m. Anthony Talarico can be reached at anthony.talarico@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @ant_tal.