Pirates notch come-from-behind win to avoid Saturday sweep

In its second-straight day of doubleheaders, the Seton Hall softball team split its two games on Saturday in Madeira Beach, Fla., losing 4-2 to the Loyola Chicago Ramblers before coming back to win 4-3 over the Central Arkansas Bears. With the results, Seton Hall moves to 3-1 on the weekend and 10-7 on the season. Chrisa Head started the first game for the Pirates and surrendered two runs in the first. Head gave up a leadoff single, which Loyola followed up with a sacrifice bunt attempt. The bunt attempt was to third basemen Alexis Walkden, who threw the ball away and allowed both runners to reach base safely. [caption id="attachment_22045" align="aligncenter" width="1440"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] After a single loaded the bases, Brooke Wilson hit a two-run single that gave Loyola the early lead. Only one of those two runs were earned. The Ramblers got two more in the fourth inning off Head, with a throwing error from Seton Hall shortstop Emily Supercynski. An RBI double from Katie Kasubke then extended the lead for the Ramblers. Two batters later, another error from the Pirate infield – this time from second basemen Jaden Tate – led Kasubke to come around and score. None of the runs scored in the inning were earned. Head pitched the rest of the game for the Pirates and surrendered 10 hits and four runs with just one of them earned, striking out three and walking one over six innings. She was charged with the loss and is now 0-3 on the season. The Pirate offense did all of its scoring in the seventh inning, beginning with a leadoff walk from Supercynski. Janae Barracato then smacked a double to left to put two runners in scoring position, and Alexis Walkden later brought both runners in with a single to right. The Pirates could not bring in any more runs though and lost the game 4-2. Seton Hall took on Central Arkansas right after the loss, with game two not beginning in ideal circumstances for the Pirates. Reganne Camp started the game and ran into trouble in the second, as she gave up two walks to start the inning. After almost working out of trouble, back-to-back two-out singles drove both of those runners in for the Bears, putting Seton Hall down early again. The Pirate offense came through in the third inning though, and it started with Alyssa Prukop’s first career home run. Brianna Wallace hit a single right after and followed that up with a steal of second base. Payton Beaver then drove her in with a single up the middle to tie the game up at two. Camp surrendered a leadoff walk in the fifth and was replaced by Madison Strunk, and the run came around to score after a throwing error by Walkden on a bunt single. Camp received a no-decision for her effort after pitching four innings, in which she gave up three hits, three runs – all earned – five walks and seven strikeouts. Strunk was, however, able to shut down the Bears in relief, as she pitched three scoreless innings, only giving up one hit while striking out one. Down by one, Beaver led off the sixth for the Pirates and singled up the middle again. Following her hit, Beaver exited the field for Tate, who pinch ran and advanced to third on a Walkden single. Not long after, Tate came into tie the game on an RBI groundout by Katherine Matthys. The Pirates took the lead after a Sara Foster RBI single and went onto win the game 4-3, behind three scoreless innings from Strunk. Strunk was given the win for her effort, as she improves to 2-1 on the season. The Pirates final game in the EMU Madeira Beach Invitational will take place on Sunday, March 4 against the Buffalo Bulls. Jose Feliciano can be reached at jose.feliciano@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @JFeliciano1101.