Seton Hall continue to improve its conference mark with road win

The Seton Hall women’s basketball team were victorious Friday afternoon in Providence's Alumni Hall as they defeated the Providence Friars, 65-56. It was the same score-line that the Hall had beaten Providence by on Jan. 5 in Walsh Gymnasium, with the Hall having won four of their last five, beginning with that first Providence win. The game was low-scoring in the first quarter, and things stay close until an 8-0 run to close the half gave the Pirates some separation. Despite JaQuan Jackson leading the team in scoring at the half with 10 points, five other Seton Hall players pitched into the scoring efforts, including Shadeen Samuels who had 6 points and 4 rebounds in the opening frame. [caption id="attachment_21356" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Photo via SHU Athletics[/caption] Towards the end of the third quarter and beginning of the fourth, Seton Hall showed their scoring prowess as their lead grew to the largest of the game at 51-35. Providence tried to make a late push as they narrowed the Seton Hall lead to 10 with just over a minute remaining in the game. Despite the late attempt to make things interesting by the Friars, the Pirates were able to make their shots from the stripe – where they shot 92 percent on the game – and limit mistakes. JaQuan Jackson has embraced the increased scoring burden on her shoulders in the last two games since the departure of leading-scorer Donnaizha Fountain. The redshirt senior guard scored 22 points, made all five of her free throws and knocked down three shots from beyond the arc, shooting at a 70 percent clip from the field. Jackson is averaging 19 points per game in the last two contests. Despite being outrebounded by Providence, the Hall still managed to coast to a nine-point win. Their perimeter defense more than made up for the rebound margin, as Inja Butina was responsible for a team-leading six steals – one of seven Pirates to record a steal – as the Pirates led in fast-break points 12-6. Seton Hall is now 10-0 when the opposing team scores under 60 points. Seton Hall’s lack of rebounding was also aided by their production in the paint, as they lead 30-20 in terms of points in the paint, with several fast break layups and inside scores. The win evens Seton Hall’s record to 5-5 in the Big East, moving them a half-game closer to sixth-place Creighton. Their next game on the conference schedule will be another away game, as the team will travel to Omaha, Neb. to face off against none other than Creighton on Jan. 28. Tip-off for that game is scheduled for 2 p.m. Evando Thompson can be reached at evando.thompson@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @Thompsev.