Michigan State should be ashamed

On Jan. 24, Larry Nassar, the former USA Gymnastics and Michigan State University doctor was sentenced to 40 to 175 years in prison for sexually abusing his patients. Nassar’s victims included Olympians such as Simone Biles, Aly Raisman, Gabby Douglas and McKayla Maroney, but they are only a fraction of the women and girls who spoke against him. A total of 156 victims recounted their alleged abuse by Nassar. [caption id="attachment_19477" align="aligncenter" width="508"] The Setonian logo, obtained from www.google.com[/caption] Not only had he been abusing gymnasts training at USA Gymnastics, but he had also been molesting female athletes attending Michigan State University, as well. And, to put it lightly, the university’s administration has been handling the situation atrociously. According to CNN, several of Nassar’s victims who were abused by him at Michigan State said that they reported Nassar’s behavior to the university as long as 19 years ago. They said that their claims were either ignored or silenced. The Detroit News also stated that 14 MSU officials were aware of Nassar’s abuse while it was happening. One of Nassar’s victims, Clasina Syrovy, a former MSU club gymnast, called on President Lou Anna Simon to step down. It took a ridiculous amount of pressure from society to force Simon to finally leave her post on Jan. 24, something she should have had the conscious to do on her own. Syrovy said in court, according to CNN, “[Simon] ... doesn’t deserve to hold the title of MSU president. Her recent behavior and comments are a joke. The least she could do is step down from her position and show us a little courtesy.” Simon and Michigan State officials claim that they were not aware of the abuse, but it was their job to protect their students from sexual misconduct and they completely failed. Instead of doing the right thing and wiping out all of the administrators who either knowingly or unknowingly remained ignorant to the situation, the university has instead stated that it supported Simon as president. According to The New York Times, MSU Trustee Joel Ferguson laughed at the idea of the NCAA investigating the university for the Nassar scandal. Hours later the NCAA announced it was launching an investigation. Ferguson also said that he and other board members supported Simon because there was more to the presidency than just “this Nassar thing.” The joking and irresponsiblemanner that MSU officials are presenting themselves with comes as no shock, considering they allowed dozens of young women to be sexually assaulted under their watch for years. But you better watch out Ferguson, “that Nassar thing” ended Simon’s career and it might just end yours. The Voice is intended to best represent the collective opinion of The Setonian’s Editorial Board. It is written by The Setonian’s Editor-in-Chief and Managing Editor.