Desi Rodriguez tweet seems to refute Kevin Willard’s benching explanation

The Seton Hall Pirates did not have a chance to talk to the media following a disappointing performance that saw them fall to the Creighton Bluejays 80-63 on Wednesday night. Instead, some players went to social media to make their thoughts known, including Desi Rodriguez, who was benched for all but six minutes of play against the Bluejays.

Coach Kevin Willard’s only post-game availability came on AM 970’s “The Answer” as he spoke with play-by-play broadcaster Gary Cohen and analyst Dave Popkin. There, Willard was questioned about Rodriguez’s benching.

“He’s been playing so well, so many minutes, he had that look on his face that he just didn’t want to be out there,” Willard said. “When he gets that way, you just kind of let him regroup and refocus, and it just didn’t happen.”

Sarah Yenesel/Photography Editor

After the game, however, the senior sent out a tweet that seemed to respond to his coach’s comments.

https://twitter.com/desirodriguez6/status/953845204590776320

Rodriguez sat at the end of Seton Hall’s bench throughout the game, sometimes expressing enthusiasm and support for his teammates by clapping when shown on camera.

Outside of social media, No. 19 Seton Hall will get the chance to make another kind of statement against No. 11 Xavier on Jan. 20 in a home environment where the Pirates are undefeated this season.

Elizabeth Swinton can be reached at elizabeth.swinton@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @eswint22. 

Author: Elizabeth Swinton

Elizabeth Swinton is a television production major at Seton Hall University where she serves as Sports Editor of The Setonian. In addition, Swinton is a social media specialist and contributing writer for The Brooklyn Game. You can follow her on Twitter @eswint22

4 Comments

1. Kevin Willard finally has a good product for Seton Hall to be proud of not only is he taking the joy from students and alums he is also hurting the rest of the players on the team! He couldn’t Just pulled Desi aside and like a good coach motivate him if he felt that Desi didn’t seem motivated for the game. Then give him the opportunity to prove at the begining of the 2nd half He was into this game. A game of this magnitude I find hard to believe a player wouldn’t be up for is beyond me!

Post a Reply
  2. Desi Rodriguez has had some temperamental issues in the past. I found it hard to believe that Kevin Willard would have kept him out of the game if Rodriguez was enthusiastic about playing. Please put me in coach would have probably been all that it would have taken from Rodriguez for Willard to have put one of his best players in for this important game. No coach wants to lose by benching one of his best players. I think Willard probably said as little as possible about the situation to avoid team strife and unnecessary controversy. Rodriguez will hopefully come ready to play against Xavier for the Hall’s sake and his own. NBA scouts are watching. There are many good players out there, and a player’s attitude can make all the difference.

Post a Reply
  3. Willard is dead to me!

Post a Reply