South Orange restaurant offers traditional Italian cuisine

Reservoir Italian Restaurant is located in the village of South Orange. Established in 1935 by the grandmother of the current owner, Bill Agnellino, the restaurant was located in Newark before it was moved to its current location in South Orange. Reservoir got its name by being located across from the Newark reservoir when it was first opened. “I would describe it as a casual family restaurant with very good homemade Italian comfort food,” Agnellino said. [caption id="attachment_20726" align="aligncenter" width="640"] SHU students favor Reservoir’s hearty dishes, like the Build Your Own Pasta and Jerry’s Chicken.
Photo via goexploremediaserver.com[/caption] The restaurant has tried to support SHU as much as possible throughout the years. They have been willing to donate money or gift cards to SHU clubs and Greek organizations that stop in. Reservoir has also donated certificates to the annual SHU Giving Drive. In 2011 and 2012, Reservoir brought food to the SHU soccer field for the women’s soccer team after every one of their home games. In the past, Reservoir has employed SHU students, but no SHU students currently work there. Out of 10 students that participated in a survey to evaluate how often students frequent the restaurant, three have been to Reservoir. “It’s one of my favorite places to eat in South Orange,” said Brittany Setaro, a junior social and behavioral sciences major. The Build Your Own Pasta, the Antipasto and Jerry’s Chicken were some of the popular menu choices among those who have eaten at the restaurant. The restaurant does not have any special deals, but they do have special dishes that are only served at certain times of the week. One of the popular specials that Agnellino mentioned was the fish dishes that are only served Thursday through Sunday. The other seven participants have never been to the Reservoir, but would be willing to give it a chance. Daniella Coffaro, a senior biology major, said, “I love Italy and I would go anywhere that has anything to do with it.” Veronica Gaspa can be reached at veronica.gaspa@student.shu.edu.