Seton Hall ranked 24th in financial mobility

Seton Hall University ranked in the top 25 among private, non-profit, four-year institutions nationwide in a study published last month by the Chronicle of Higher Education for colleges, with the highest financial mobility rates for students. According to The Chronicle, the mobility rate is the “measure of the percentage of all students in a birth cohort at a particular college whose parents were in the bottom 20 percent for household income, and who reached the top 20 percent for individual earnings.” [caption id="attachment_20738" align="aligncenter" width="838"] Seton Hall ranked in the top 25 among private, non-profit, and four-year institutions.
Sarah Yenesel /Asst. Photography Editor[/caption] The study looked at millions of anonymous tax and financial-aid records and compared the median parent household income for students at colleges and universities across the country with the earnings those same students achieved after graduation. Seton Hall had a rate of 3.18 percent students earn more than their parents. Alyssa McCloud, vice president for enrollment management, said that Seton Hall’s ranking 24th accurately reflects the University’s catholic mission for helping students find how to use their gifts and talents to have success in life. “We care a great deal about providing students with an education, but as a Catholic school we also really care about helping student, especially those who might be from low socioeconomic backgrounds who might be first generation,” McCloud said. “Helping them have the tools to be more successful in life and move up means a lot to us, so it’s nice having an external source validate that.” Despite not thinking that the report will directly influence future enrollment, McCloud believes Seton Hall helps students find good internships and jobs. From asking students throughout the years about what sets Seton Hall apart, she finds that “if you ask people genuinely are helpful here,” McCloud said. “Students who are here as a freshman have opportunities to do research in a lab with faculty, have an internship, work for the radio station, or write for The Setonian,” McCloud said. “I think we go out of our way to provide these hands on learning opportunities to help students get confident and build their skills, giving them a lot more support than I think they would get at any other university.” Kerianne Asea, a senior marketing major, thinks it’s a great look for current students and for future students considering looking at Seton Hall. She agrees with McCloud on the many opportunities Seton Hall offers to ensure financial success. “It is good to hear that someone graduating Seton Hall has potential to be financially stable after earning their degree,” Asea said. “I think Seton Hall has a lot of career opportunities as well as great people in the Career Center that are willing to steer you in the right direction as well as give you advice to succeed.” Erica Naumann, a public relations graduate student, has already seen this first hand through some of the recent students she graduated with last spring. “I know of a couple recent graduates that are in the same field as their family members and are already off to a great start, making more money than their family member at that stage in life,” Naumann said. The common feeling among students in college is wondering whether their time there is worth not only the time, but also the money. Yet, as the study shows, Seton Hall students should not be worried. Naumann, who is on course to earn her second degree from the University, said that her time at here is putting her on the path. “I feel that Seton Hall being ranked 24 shows the success of our students and the prestige of the university. This makes me feel confident in the education I am receiving and that my future is bright,” Naumann said. Nicholas Mariano can be reached at nicholas.mariano@student.shu.edu.