Local ‘hidden treasures’ looking to reach Pirates

The streets of the South Orange village are lined with a variety of stores and restaurants, each providing their own ways to entertain or serve the South Orange community. With so many locations and activities to choose from, it may be easy to overlook certain destinations. Here are some hidden treasures of South Orange looking to branch out to Seton Hall’s Pirates.

Ye Olde Curiosities Shoppe
Dr. Arnold R. Saslow said he aims to capture history with his Ye Olde Curiosities Shoppe.
Saslow, a former Centers of Disease Control federal officer, has been at this location for the past 24 years, buying, selling and appraising what he calls “the history of mankind.” He acquires antiques and treasures from auctions all over the world, collecting paper money, stamps and foreign coins, as well as other rare items.
Despite the occasional wandering student who makes his or her way into his shop, he typically does not encounter interest from Seton Hall students looking to buy his items.
Despite this, numerous Seton Hall students have volunteered their time to Saslow’s store.
“We recently sold a deal of 110,000 Lincoln pennies minted before 1958,” Saslow said. “Everyone of those pennies was sorted through by a Seton Hall student.”
Where: 111 South Orange Ave.

Several South Orange stores and restuarants welcome students to explore what they have to offer.
Sarah Yenesel/Asst. Photography Editor 

Mark Murphy’s Music LLC
The rhythmic sound of a kick drum and grand piano greets all who enter Mark Murphy’s music school.
The studio, which opened in 2013, offers one-on-one private music lessons to all levels of experience and age.
Gabrielle Truncali, a Seton Hall graduate student working at the school said the family environment between the students and teachers allows everyone to grow as musicians and individuals.
“It’s more than just a music school,” Truncali said. “They really show everyone what it’s like to be a musician and connect with other people through music.”
Where: 25 Scotland Rd.

Blink Fitness
Since opening in October 2016, students have congregated to this gym looking for a more intimate atmosphere.
Olivia Lason, a graduate student at Seton Hall, joined Blink looking for a smaller environment in which to workout. “I love that I can come at any time and not have to wait to use any of the equipment,” Lason said.
With memberships starting at $15 a month, it may serve as a good alternative for students who live off-campus and have a tight budget.
Where: 451 Valley St.

OVO Gallery
Owned and run by local artists Caro Kalb-Marr and Richard Marr, OVO is a place where “students and the community can gather and see, talk about and purchase art,” according to Kalb-Marr. The owners say anyone can submit their art.
They offer open submission periods throughout the year that allow local Seton Hall and South Orange artists to submit their work for viewing. Seton Hall students have yet to have art featured, but Kalb-Marr “would love to see more students coming in.”
Where: 126 South Orange Ave.

Nicholas Mariano can be reached at Nicholas.Mariano@student.shu.edu.