Angel Delgado named 2017 Haggerty Award winner

The Met Writers Basketball Association announced Wednesday that Seton Hall big man Angel Delgado is the 2017 All-Met Division I Haggerty Award recipient for Player of the Year.

The Haggerty Award is given yearly by the MWBA to the New York area’s top men’s Division I basketball player. Delgado is the 12th Seton Hall player to receive the honor. Former SHU guard Isaiah Whitehead was the 2016 recipient of the award.

Joey Khan/Photography and Digital Editor

In his junior season at Seton Hall, Delgado had some of the best stat lines not only in the Big East but in the nation. The big man finished the season ranked second in the country in double-doubles with 27, and led the NCAA in rebounds per game (13.1) and offensive rebounds per game (5.03).

Delgado showed growth in his offensive game in the season as well, jumping from averaging 9.9 points per game in 2016 to 15.2 in 2017. Additionally, he hit 1,000 career points and 1,000 rebounds at Seton Hall this season.

The junior was also named to the All-Met first team, alongside Khadeen Carrington.

Currently, Delgado is testing the NBA draft waters without an agent, leaving open his return to Seton Hall for his senior season.

Elizabeth Swinton can be reached at elizabeth.swinton@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @eswint22.

Author: Elizabeth Swinton

Elizabeth Swinton is a television production major at Seton Hall University where she serves as Sports Editor of The Setonian. In addition, Swinton is a social media specialist and contributing writer for The Brooklyn Game. You can follow her on Twitter @eswint22