Seton Hall’s Jevon Thomas leaves the program

Jevon Thomas has left the Seton Hall men’s basketball program, according to Kevin Willard.

The head coach issued a statement on Wednesday announcing the junior backup point guard’s departure prior to the team’s game against Providence. Thomas will leave the program, effective immediately.

β€œJevon has made the decision to leave our program,” Willard said. “We wish him the best in his future endeavors.”

Joey Khan/Photography Editor

Thomas is now the third personnel loss for Seton Hall this season, joining Veer Singh and Myles Carter as the Pirates’ bench continues to thin. A lack of playing time led to Thomas’ decision, according to Jerry Carino of theΒ Asbury Park Press. With Thomas gone, Seton Hall now has 10 players on scholarship.

It has been a tumultuous ride for Thomas in South Orange. He sat out all of last season after transferring from Kansas State, as NCAA transfer rules dictate. Then, last spring, he was involved in an on-campus altercation during a recreation basketball game. The incident earned Thomas a semester-long suspension.

The defensive-minded guard made his Seton Hall debut against Rutgers in December. He came off the bench in 10 games, averaging nine minutes while shooting 18 percent for the Hall. Once looked to as the contingency should Isaiah Whitehead go pro, which he did, Thomas had 13 turnovers but just eight assists.

Thomas did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Editor’s Note: An earlier version of this article said that Seton Hall had nine remaining players on scholarship. It has 10.Β 

Gary Phillips can be reached at gary.phillips@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @GaryHPhillips.

Author: Gary Phillips

Gary Phillips is a journalism major at Seton Hall University where he serves as Editor-in-Chief of The Setonian. In addition, Phillips is also a columnist at FanRag Sports and a contributing writer for Jets Wire. He has also interned at CNBC and The Bergen Record and written for Bleacher Report and Double G Sports, in addition to freelance work. You can follow Phillips on Twitter @GaryHPhillips and see all of his work at https://garyphillips.journoportfolio.com/home-page/.