POLITICO comes to South Orange

[caption id="attachment_14922" align="aligncenter" width="2592"]Shengxi Chen/Staff Photographer Shengxi Chen/Staff Photographer[/caption] At a time when the country is in the midst of a presidential election, the South Orange Performing Arts Center (SOPAC) unveils its latest visual exhibition: “Politico: Art & the Humanities.” The exhibition, organized by SOPAC’s curator Micha Hamilton and his creative team, will be viewable starting Sept. 8 at the Herb & Milly Iris Gallery. In a roundabout way, “Politico” and its perceptive intersection of arts and politics fosters a sharper discourse of the current state of national affairs, while simultaneously alleviating threats that surround these dialogues in audiences with opposing ideals and conflicting views. According to Hamilton, the focus of the exhibit is to show that “there are still ways within the ‘establishment’ to be provocative while peacefully and thoughtfully empowering the voice(s) of the community to dialogue openly about politics and its effects.” Although the exhibition will explore subversive and eclectic principles of arts and politics, Hamilton affirms that it will be a safe haven for discussion and expression. Such affirmations are what attracts art lovers SGA president Teagan Sebba and co-founder of Fashion Club Cailee Valent, who will be attending the opening reception on Sept. 11. On Sept. 8, “Death of the GOP” by Cheryl Gross, a mixed media work reminiscent of the art of the accomplished Ralph Steadman, and “Bernie Sanders for President – The Star-Spangled man with a plan” by twin brothers Alejandro & Miguel Vega, are a must-see. “Politico” highlights the impact of a campaign that disproportionately influences American society. More provocative than controversial, it is the exact kind of immersive and holistic art experience that SHU students should cater to, and the overall need of the South Orange community. “Politico” showcases the collaborative work of four arts organizations (SOPAC-South Orange, Arts Unbound-Orange, The Baird Center’s Pierro Gallery-South Orange, and Valley Arts Firehouse Gallery-Orange). Displayed art includes Gross, the Vega’s, Luis Alves, Aileen Bassis, Eric Beckerich, Kevin Bradley (Church Of Type), Kathy Cantwell, Russell Christian, Christopher Cox (Change The Thought), Lawrence Ciarallo, Jenny & Dean (A Frightening Prospect), Ron Freeman, John Friedland, Betty McGeehan, Anne Oshman, Jay Santiago, Steve Singer, Felix Sockwell, Onnie Strother, and Florence Weisz. According to the SOPAC website, Politico, Art & Humanities has free admission and a free reception on Sept. 11 from 6-7 p.m. There is also a Politico Party on Oct. 7 from 7-9 p.m. The exhibition will be on display at the South Orange Performing Arts Center until Dec. 8. Perle Desir can be reached at perle.desir@student.shu.edu.