Looking ahead, preparing for the work force

[caption id="attachment_14914" align="aligncenter" width="555"]via shu.edu via shu.edu[/caption] The Fall 2016 Career Fair, hosted by the Career Center, will take place on Thursday, Sept. 15 from 4 p.m. to 6:15 p.m. in the Richard & Sheila Regan Fieldhouse. Gina Aloe, assistant director of the Career Center, said it’s important to get an early start during the first few weeks on campus in order to make connections and begin networking. “This is an opportunity to learn about the types of internships and positions available to you,” Aloe said in an email interview. “Students should be regularly updating their resumes to ensure they are ready to apply or reach out about opportunities that may arise,” she added. Brittannia Gordon, a junior public relations major, attended the spring career fair for the College of Communication and the Arts where she obtained an internship with “Edible Jersey,” a local food magazine. Gordon prepared for the fair by working with the Career Center on her resume and by participating in CHAMP (Communication Honors Alumni Mentorship Program) during the spring. “My mentor (public relations adjunct professor Joan Bosisio) from that program helped me a lot with my resume and pitch,” Gordon said. During her internship, Gordon had many learning opportunities since it was a small company. “It was a great place for me to get my feet wet and gain more experience,” she added. Mario Spiniello, a junior marketing major, also obtained an internship from attending the spring career fair. Spiniello had his heart set on working at Ipsos, a  large marketing company, after working on his resume and reviewing the companies that would be attending. In the week following the fair, Ipsos emailed Spiniello concerning a phone interview and, Spiniello was offered a position in the healthcare division as an assistant to the project manager. “This entailed making reports and corresponding with several teams on a healthcare study on a daily basis,” Spiniello said. “I was able to experience working in an office, commuting to work, and interacting with my co-workers for five days a week for three months. It was an incredible experience.” “A large part of finding a job after graduation is due to networking,” Aloe said. “Every time you attend a live event, you add to your professional network. Being proactive also includes active involvement on campus, staying on top of your academic course load, and finding positions to help build your resume,” she added. Aloe’s biggest tip for success is to take time to research the list of employers participating in the event, which is currently on Navigator, the Career Center’s online tool to find internships and jobs, and make a list of the professionals to speak with. “Bring copies of your resume and dress professionally,” she added. “It is also important to have a firm handshake and greet the employer with a smile. Be confident and deliver your pitch.” In an elevator pitch, Aloe said to mention what major you are, what year you are, your on-campus involvement, work experience, leadership experience, volunteer experience, previous accomplishments, and what you can bring to an organization. According to Aloe, the Career Center will host 15 minute resume critiques offered on a first come, first served basis prior to the fair in Bayley Hall room 209. Rebecca White can be reached at rebecca.white@student.shu.edu.