SHU men’s soccer tie Penn in heated matchup

via Seton Hall Athletics

via Seton Hall Athletics

Owen T. Carrol Field was filled with action in Monday night’s game, as the Seton Hall Pirates (1-2) tied the University of Pennsylvania (0-0-1) in a double-overtime match.

It was clear the game was going to be chippy from the start when Pirate’s midfielder Patrick Burd was assessed a red card after a scrum on the Pirate’s offensive end. The card was given in the seventh minute for allegedly stomping on a Penn player.

“The referee was pretty sure of what he did and what he gave him a red card for so until I see the video I can’t argue” head coach Gerson Echeverry said after the game.

The Pirates overcame the momentary frustration, however, when Jonathon Jimenez put one in the top left corner with 21:08 remaining in the half for his first career goal.

Seton Hall maintained their lead the rest of the half to stay up 1-0 at the break.

The second half began with much of the same Pirate defense until Aramis Kouzine of Pennsylvania scored in the 58th minute to tie up the match at one.

Injuries affected the Pirates significantly with Pedro Neto going down momentarily, combined with already being down a man from the red card. In addition, Spencer Burkhardt reinjured his previously sprained ankle after being kicked. However, the Pirates kept the game locked in a tie leading the action to overtime.

The battle continued between opposing players as scuffles broke out in each of the two overtimes. The dissatisfaction with the referees added fuel to the game, from the stands to the playing field.

Along with plenty of issues, neither team was able to break through making it a 1-1 final.

“We tried talking to them about not losing their head, however I think the referee had something to do with it,” said a frustrated Echeverry after the game that featured 21 Pennsylvania fouls. “I think he could’ve protected our players so we wouldn’t lose our head.”

Coach went on to say how proud he was of his players for not losing control and is looking forward to taking time off in recovery for the team’s next match up.

That next game will be Saturday, back at Owen T. Carroll Field, against the Lehigh Mountain Hawks at 1 p.m.

Keith Egan can be contacted by email at or on Twitter @Keith_egan10.