Men’s soccer starts 2016 season with win

Via Seton Hall Athletics

Via Seton Hall Athletics

After a winless 2015 campaign, the Seton Hall men’s soccer team silenced the doubters with a convincing 3-1 win over St. Peters on Friday afternoon.

The Pirates were led on the offensive side by sophomore Andres Arcila, who netted two goals in the Pirate triumph. Arcilia scored in the 15th minute to give the Pirates a 1-0 lead, which was soon answered by the Peacocks to level the score at 1-1.

The Pirates would not keep the game even for long, as senior Danny Bartok scored the eventual game-winning goal off a cross from Brandon Sabinsky that gave the Pirates a 2-1 lead in the 39th minute. Arcilia’s second goal of the match would add insurance for the Pirates, and he slammed home a penalty kick in the 56th minute to give the Pirates the 3-1 lead.

The team was able to generate strong offensive pressure in the attacking third, accumulating 14 shots, seven of which were on goal. St. Peter’s was only able to tally seven shots, with only three challenging senior goalkeeper Julian Spindler.

After a winless 2015 season, men’s soccer came out of the gate firing on all cylinders and are off to a great start in 2016. The team will look to carry that momentum into Sunday as the Pirates return to Owen T. Carroll field for their home opener against Stony Brook, with the match set to start at 7 p.m.

Matt Ambrose can be reached by email at or on Twitter @mambrose97.