Former Pirate Fuquan Edwin acquitted of soliciting prostitution

[caption id="attachment_12610" align="aligncenter" width="580"]Photo courtesy Seton Hall Athletics Photo courtesy Seton Hall Athletics[/caption] Fuquan Edwin, a former Seton Hall basketball player, was found not guilty of soliciting prostitution on Thursday, July 28 by a municipal court judge. The story was first reported by Jeff Green of NorthJersey.com. Myles Mack, a fellow Paterson, N.J. native and former Rutgers basketball player, was also acquitted by Judge Cecilia Guzman. The two men were arrested last July when the Passaic County Sheriff’s Office conducted a sting in Paterson. Prosecutors said that Edwin and Mack had made an offer to officers posing as prostitutes, but no conversation was recorded. “I don’t believe Mr. Mack and Mr. Edwin were trying to solicit a prostitute that night,” Guzman said Thursday, according to NorthJersey.com. “I do in fact find them not guilty.” Thursday’s acquittal closes the door on a case that has gone on for over a year. The case was dismissed in January when an officer failed to show up in court. Authorities were given 50 days to re-file charges, which they did. With the charges no longer hanging over their heads, Edwin and Mack are hoping to resume their athletic careers. Mack, who was kicked off a team in Lithuania because of the case, now has plans to play in Denmark. Edwin was unable to join an NBA summer league team because of the charges, his lawyer, Kenyatta Stewart, told NorthJersey.com. Edwin last played abroad in Israel after a summer league stint with the New Orleans Pelicans. The 23-year-old played for Seton Hall from 2010-14. Had the two been convicted, they could have faced up to a year in jail. Edwin did not immediately respond to a request for comment through his agent. Gary Phillips can be reached at gary.phillips@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @GaryHPhillips.