Baseball defeats Butler to open last regular season series

[caption id="attachment_14499" align="aligncenter" width="838"]via SHU Athletics via SHU Athletics[/caption] The Hall took the first of three games on Thursday against Butler, by an 8-2 run differential. With the victory, the Pirates improved to 36-18 overall and 8-8 in Big East play. This three game away-series against Butler marks the final games of the Pirates’ season unless a postseason berth is issued. Although the Pirates trailed 1-0 early due to two errors in the first inning, they retaliated in the top of the second with a run of their own to tie the game. From there on out, the Hall controlled the game with a combination of strong pitching and offense. Seton Hall’s starter Sophomore Shane McCarthy was sharp on Thursday, pitching seven innings while limiting Butler’s bats to five hits and two runs, one unearned. McCarthy earned his sixth win of the season coming off a strong performance against St. John’s the week prior. McCarthy’s seven innings of work was proceeded by two innings of scoreless relief from Sophomore Chris Morris. Morris struck out two while allowing only one baserunner on a hit. The Hall’s bats were headlined by a 4-for-4 day at the plate from Junior Joe Poduslenko. Poduslenko helped the Pirates take the lead in the top of the fourth inning with a one-out double scoring Senior Zack Weigel. Weigel was also a contributor to the Hall’s success, going 3-for-4 with two RBI’s as well as two stolen bases. He also collected his 200th collegiate career on Thursday on a single to left field in the fourth inning. The Pirates’ offense totaled 16 hits compared to Butler’s six, and did not trail once after the first inning. From the top of the fourth to the eighth innings, the Hall scored at least one run in each inning. Out of the two remaining games in the series, the Hall needs to win one in order to clinch a berth in the Big East Championship. The Hall returns to action Friday at 1 p.m. for the second game of the series against Butler. The game will be aired by Fox College Sports. Josh Rhim can be contacted at Joshua.Rhim@student.shu.edu and @JRJoshRhimSHU on Twitter.