WSOU holds Hall of Fame Induction

Seton Hall’s campus radio station WSOU has garnered its success and continued professionalism from its students and dedicated alumni who are constantly striving for excellence on the air waves. This past April, the station held its Hall of Fame Induction ceremony in Jubilee hall. The ceremony recognized individuals who have contributed to the station when they attended SHU, but have continued to do so while immersed in their professional lives. All those inducted are chosen based on their accomplishments in their field, service to WSOU and the SHU community as well as supporting Seton Hall students, according to the WSOU website. Erica Szczepaniak, a senior public relations major and station manager at WSOU, found the event to be influential towards students as they see alumni excelling in their fields, but still staying connected to SHU. “It's amazing to see WSOU's own alumni achieve such high honors in the communications and broadcasting industry,” Szczepaniak said. “It definitely shows current staff members that WSOU and Seton Hall University really help prepare you for a great career. I hope to see many people that I knew during my time at WSOU eventually be inducted into the Hall of Fame in a few years.” Inductees this year included Bernie Wagenblast, who graduated in 1978 and Bob Picozzi, who graduated in 1972. The station also recognized Stephanie Wightman, who graduated in 2008 and as a Distinguished Young Alumna, according to WSOU website. Jocelyn Rogalo, a freshman broadcasting visual media television major and WSOU contributor as a student member, found the hall of fame event to be inspiring. “It was really cool to learn that I am part of a community that I didn’t even know existed,” Rogalo said. “WSOU is so well-known that if I went to NBC people would know what I’m talking about,” she added. Rogalo found her acceptance speech to be inspiring as Wightman found her place at WSOU as a student, but her memories were similar to many students who work at the station today. Wightman reflected on students working many night shifts and having parents who listen to the modern active rock station to support their students. The music and friendships are part of a pirate network that is still resonating on campus. “Overall, the event was a great opportunity to honor the inductees, allow alumni to reconnect with members of their old staff, and give current students the opportunity to network,” Szczepaniak said.  “Inductees, alumni and current students alike all enjoyed the ceremony as well as the opportunities to mingle with so many generations of WSOU.” As the Seton Hall community remembers its alumni, it brought together different generations of WSOU together to reflect also on the station’s future. Stephanie Gomulka can be reached at stephanie.gomulka@student.shu.edu.Vic