Muggle news shakes Harry Potter club

[caption id="attachment_14302" align="alignnone" width="300"]Fantastic Beasts Movie Facebook Page Fantastic Beasts Movie Facebook Page[/caption] “I’ll fix it up with Mum and Dad, then I’ll call you. I know how to use a fellytone now---” Ron said in J.K. Rowling’s novel “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.” “A telephone, Ron,” Hermione responded. “Honestly, you should take Muggle Studies next year.” Muggle studies? While Seton Hall University does not offer classes involving magic and wizarding schools do not exist in the real world, the magic is kept alive through organizations such as Harry Potter club. The members are sorted into different houses: Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff and Slytherin. Initially, members had to take a quiz that the club’s executive board members put together. Ashlie French, a sophomore broadcasting major and president of Harry Potter club, said in an email that this academic year, the club had a five-part sorting trial, which tested the attributes of each house. The club has changed from simple meetings with some events to elaborating house cup challenges which helps to grow some friendly house rivalries, French added. “Our former president, Zane Khan, was a perfect example of Slytherin. He was cunning and was super ambitious. He wanted to make the club better than it was and he definitely succeeded,” French said. When asked what house she would be sorted into, French responded that she would no doubt be in Slytherin. While house rivalry exists in the club, Potterheads also have differing favorite characters. According to a Time Magazine online article, when asked by a fan who her favorite non-Harry character was, Rowling revealed that it’s Dumbledore. The news created a stir amongst some fans of the series. While, others like French was not surprised that it would be Dumbledore. The article further explains how Rowling’s reply to the fan came in the midst of her explanation of why Dumbledore’s name is mentioned in the new trailer for the movie, “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.” The movie, set to open in theaters on Nov. 18, is the first of Rowling’s new trilogy, a story that follows Newt Scamander when he arrives in New York City in the 1920s after being kicked out of Hogwarts for endangering a human's life. French said that Potterheads are excited for the movie premiere. While, Rowling finds Dumbledore her favorite non-Harry character, French said that her personal favorite character is Fred and George Weasley. She explained, “I know it’s two characters, but they always gave a laugh when they appeared in the books and movies.” Harry Potter club was created at SHU in 2012 and has changed by its membership and through hosting different events. So, while, the Walsh library might not come close to a Hogwarts-esque library, the club does work to bring forces together to come close to it in other ways. The club hosted its most recent event, the Yule Ball, a semi-formal that was open for anyone on campus to attend, which usually takes place in late-January or early-February. They recreated the fictional Yule Ball that takes place in “Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire” which is part of the Triwizard Tournament tradition. French said that this year, Khan had hid Easter eggs filled with candy and “funny suggestions” at the dance. Additionally, the club discusses multiple topics which are not always Harry Potter-related. They have also led a seminar on how to play “Dungeons and Dragons,” a fantasy role-playing game in which characters have adventures through engaging in battles and undertaking obstacles. Those who want to join the club, do not have to read the books or have seen the movies. It does not matter even if you have never heard of Harry Potter as French explained, “Hogwarts doesn’t discriminate against anyone, so why should our club?” Nisha Desai can be reached at nisha.desai@student.shu.edu.