SHU rallies in the 9th, beats Nova in extras

Friday was a beautiful day for baseball as Seton Hall was able to upend Big East rival Villanova in 11 innings at Owen T. Carroll Field. [caption id="attachment_14219" align="alignright" width="281"]Seton Hall Athletics Seton Hall Athletics[/caption] Shane McCarthy was on the mound for the first time since his historic perfect game last week. The sophomore went six and 1/3 innings with two earned runs on his way to a no decision. It would be Nova who had the Hall on ropes throughout though, as the Wildcats only allowed one hit as they took a 3-0 lead into the bottom of the ninth. Seton Hall  got its bats going during its last licks however. With two outs in the final frame the Pirates would score three runs of their own to send the game into extra innings. Rob Dadona would be the first to drive in a run for the Pirates, singling with two men on to score Mike Alescio. Then senior Chris Chiaradio singled as well, driving in Ryan Ramiz to bring the Hall within one. Finally, Derek Jenkins legged a chopper out to first, beating the throw and scoring Dadona to make it 3-3. The heroics wouldn’t end there as Seton Hall would have the last laugh in the bottom of the 11th inning. Again with two outs, Zack Weigel dug in at the plate and delivered a bomb off the right field fence. One run would score, resulting in a thrilling 4-3 Pirates win. Weigel stole the show for the Pirates offensively, reaching base a game-high four times, recording two hits, one walk and a hit by pitch. He also had a stolen base. The series continues tomorrow at 1:00 p.m., with SHU and Nova playing the second of three games. Joe McManus can be reached at joseph.mcmanus@student.shu.edu.